Maratona 2015

2»

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    yes we ll pop across and see Ian but no ride up the Campolongo, i ll be the tall ugly bestard with the good looking bird, if we see a Cervelo r3 we ll say hi :)
  • jsutty
    jsutty Posts: 27
    Anyone there yet? How's the weather? Also, do you get a free jersey? I know I get free bibshorts with my Holomites booking, but I'm also hearing you get a jersey and possibly a gilet too!?
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Anyone there yet? How's the weather? Also, do you get a free jersey? I know I get free bibshorts with my Holomites booking, but I'm also hearing you get a jersey and possibly a gilet too!?

Yes, just arrived today. Weathers currently fantastic.

You get free shorts, I think, if you are with Holomites.
    You get a free jersey handed over when you register.

Last time, I got the Gilet on completing the course, plus a cap! No guarantees, but I would expect similar.

Could pop down and register now, but I've got a nice glass of wine in my hand and am all comfortable in the bar....

Maybe see you out and about on the course.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • jsutty
    Sweet! That's one less jersey and bib shorts to pack then. Yes, see you out and about, I'll be the ginge on a Flandria.
  • jsutty
    By the way...long shot, but does anyone happen to know where the Cortina Express bus station is in Treviso!?
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443

You pick up your jersey AND gilet at registration this year as we did this earlier this evening.

Weather is currently hot! Garmin was showing 30 degrees on the Campolongo at 11.30 today, the same as most of the way up the Stelvio on Tuesday from 11am. Forecast is the same for the weekend for La Villa / Corvara

Cheers

Rich
  • morley
    morley Posts: 26
    That was the most wonderfully organised event, but it is very hard even before the baking conditions were thrown into the mix - roadside water fountains were a god send.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    As usual, a spectacular event. Found a (relatively) hidden gem on Wednesday as we rode the Passo Duran. It's been used in the Giro a few times but isn't that well known, which is a shame as it's a beautiful climb. The views were utterly incredible. Also did the Plan de Corones climb in the week. Didn't go hard on them, more tourist style riding, taking pictures and savouring the views.

As for the Maratona itself, didn't really have good legs the whole way round, so was 2-3 minutes slower than last time I did it, which is a shame. I'm not sure whether it was the weather but it was a tough 6 hours or so in the saddle, especially the Giau which I crawled up.

Overall, a very enjoyable week though, and I hope everyone else had a good time too.
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    I can only echo the above - it's a truly wonderful event held in a spectacular part of the world. What a contrast to when I last took part in 2013 when there was 5 inches of snow on top of the Gardena on the Friday!

We did the Stelvio on the Tuesday on the most stunning day - hot but clear blue skies and low wind. A tough but memorable experience.

I climbed the Falzarego route used on the medium course nice and steady with a couple of club mates on Thursday, with a lengthy cafe stop in San Cassiano on the way down. What a lovely climb and a great few hours.

The event itself went well. I bettered my best ever time by over 20 minutes and whilst my son missed the VIP group qualifying time by 12 minutes, he was quicker than he previous visit and managed 142nd overall. Not bad for a 21 one year old who has been training for 60-70 mile road races all year.

I would recommend this event to anyone even remotely interested

Rich
  • alanp23
    Best day on a bike ever!

I'd done the Fadaia and Erbe on the Thursday/Friday and had some great rides, met some great people and generally had a very relaxing time. (Thanks for the route tips, folks)

I was planning on doing the long route and had taken note of the cut-off time. Everybody I had discussed it with told me I shouldn't worry and they were right, I felt really strong and arrived at the split an hour ahead of my schedule.

Straight up the Giau, where I had had some dark moments before. I saw a few casualties on the other side which wasnt so great, but the medical support appeared to be very quick.

And then up the Valpolora and home in 90 minutes faster than the last time I did it. (Very very happy)

The organisation is just amazing, the atmosphere fantastic and the free stuff is briliant.

Honestly, until you have experienced it, you wouldn't believe it.
  • phreak
    90 minutes is a heck of an improvement, congratulations :) The Fedaia's a brute isn't it? A beautiful brute, but a brute nonetheless :lol:
  • alanp23
    I hadn't realised until after the event, that Fadaia was the climb where Millar had protected Roche from the Italian fans during the 1987 Giro.

As you say, brutal.
  • mamba80
    Best day on a bike ever!

I was planning on doing the long route and had taken note of the cut-off time. Everybody I had discussed it with told me I shouldn't worry and they were right, I felt really strong and arrived at the split an hour ahead of my schedule.

Straight up the Giau, where I had had some dark moments before. I saw a few casualties on the other side which wasnt so great, but the medical support appeared to be very quick.

And then up the Valpolora and home in 90 minutes faster than the last time I did it. (Very very happy).

ah did i chat to you in the Pinarelo pin at the start? if so, you said you had unfinished business for the Giau!
    Fantastic improvement @ 90 min, i managed a shameful 10minute improvement - i must have pace myself a little too well, as i seemed to have so much more energy in the final 25km, which is better than in previous years i guess!
    i wonder how the other chap got on with his aim of a 7:30 time?
    Me and GF will try and to go back for the 30th edidtion next year, your tip for the Homelites package looks a very good deal, so might gove that a go
    amazing event as always and the Castelli jersey seems hi quality.
  • alanp23
    Best day on a bike ever!

And then up the Valpolora and home in 90 minutes faster than the last time I did it. (Very very happy).

ah did i chat to you in the Pinarelo pin at the start? if so, you said you had unfinished business for the Giau!
    Fantastic improvement @ 90 min, i managed a shameful 10minute improvement - i must have pace myself a little too well, as i seemed to have so much more energy in the final 25km, which is better than in previous years i guess!
    i wonder how the other chap got on with his aim of a 7:30 time?
    Me and GF will try and to go back for the 30th edidtion next year, your tip for the Homelites package looks a very good deal, so might gove that a go
    amazing event as always and the Castelli jersey seems hi quality.

Yes, that was me! That will be why you thought you recognised my name then.

The other chap ended up doing the short route. I checked his name on the final results. (I was nosey!)

Good to see you. Glad you had such a good day!
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    I didn't have as much fun as I had hoped, either because of illness or lack of training or a bit of both...anyway, written up here:

http://www.sportive.com/maratona-dles-dolomites/518729/maratona-dles-dolomites-2015-sportive-ride-report-hot-long-and-incredibly-tough
  • mamba80
    I didn't have as much fun as I had hoped, either because of illness or lack of training or a bit of both...anyway, written up here:

http://www.sportive.com/maratona-dles-dolomites/518729/maratona-dles-dolomites-2015-sportive-ride-report-hot-long-and-incredibly-tough

Nice write up and you did amazingly well to keep going, pacing is very important, as is not getting ill the day before :)
    As you say, its a super tough event, me and my GF keep going back, this was our 8th ride and for us, there is nothing better in Europe.
    I wonder if they ll do anything different for the 30th edition next year?
  • jsutty
    Cripes that was hard. Happy with my time, but could've done better. Like the Marmotte a couple of years ago I ended up feeling sick for the entire second half. Pacing? Eating at the wrong times? Heat? Altitude? I have no idea - any thoughts welcome.

Also, I saw lots of photographers out on route, but my official photographs are terrible to say the least. I'm sure there must be better ones out there. Does anyone know which local photo companies were out and about?
  • mamba80
    i try to eat at the top of every climb, and on the long run to the cut off, eat and drink some more, save the gels for the last 2 climbs, Giau & falzarego, taking it easy for the first 4 climbs before trying to up it from 1/2 distance.
    Its the altitude that does for me, i can whizz round all the climbs in Majorca but ride like a big girls blouse in the Dolomite :)
    a chap i rode with for a time, who lives in the Alps, said the same thing too, though he was obviously fine with the altitude.
  • jsutty
    That's pretty much my eating strategy too. I was also worried I was drinking too much/not enough. I got through about 3 solid energy bars, and 4-5 gels I think. Then probably 6 bottles in total...mixing electrolytes, carbs and plain water (in different bottles obviously). Nothing unfamiliar. A bit more than I would on a similar length ride in the UK, but that makes sense right? I was also putting it down to the altitude or heat...then again I did a 100k ride over Fedaia and Sellaronda a couple of days later and felt fine - it was slightly cooler but not a lot. Maybe I had acclimatised by that point. Arriving only a couple of days before the event is not something I'm going to do again.
  • phreak
    I rode all week leading up to it, and it felt hard for much of the time. The Fedaia (from the Sottaguda side) was particularly challenging because it was so very hot all week.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2039810/

That suggests you're around 1% less efficient when it gets to 35 than you are when it's cooler. Might explain a little as to why everyone seemed to find it quite so tough this year.