wiggo in (nearly) full flight?

thesquireofbanwell
thesquireofbanwell Posts: 132
edited May 2015 in Road general
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rnyr1
(with apologies to Andy Birdsall!!)
I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2

Comments

• Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    Not much chance of cheeky little draft there then..
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    He was on the col de soller this lunchtime. Probably going about the speed I do on the flat. I'm only about 5% out then.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rnyr1
    (with apologies to Andy Birdsall!!)

Wow, just watched that, didn't realise he'd be that quick whilst passing!!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Ha! Great video that, certainly puts things into perspective.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    I'll wait for the "he's old, s@@t and past it" comments from some Internet keyboard warrior.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Are you allowed following vehicles now ? (motor bike)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you allowed following vehicles now ? (motor bike)

I imagine because he is the world, olympic and national TT champion he is allowed a slight rule change. Especially with the hour and Rio coming up.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    When I am passed on a 10-mile TT, it always feels like that.

I still ride (and will continue to ride) an 'olde worlde' bike with standard dropped bars and standard road bike geometry and lots of steel and alloy.

When the Carbon & Body Condom boys whip past me, it always feels as blinding and brutal as that video.

What was missing from the clip was the amazing "Whoooo-whoooo-whooo" Tardis-like noise that accompanies full-on TT machines with carbon discs and all the rest of it.... As much as that noise signals another impending humiliation for me, I do like to hear it.

And good for Bradley (not really one of my heroes and I've never really bought the notion that any rider is 100% clean) for mixing it with the club riders. There is something very likeable about him and it comes across in his approach to events like that.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Debeli wrote:
    When I am passed on a 10-mile TT, it always feels like that.

I still ride (and will continue to ride) an 'olde worlde' bike with standard dropped bars and standard road bike geometry and lots of steel and alloy.

When the Carbon & Body Condom boys whip past me, it always feels as blinding and brutal as that video.

What was missing from the clip was the amazing "Whoooo-whoooo-whooo" Tardis-like noise that accompanies full-on TT machines with carbon discs and all the rest of it.... As much as that noise signals another impending humiliation for me, I do like to hear it.

And good for Bradley (not really one of my heroes and I've never really bought the notion that any rider is 100% clean) for mixing it with the club riders. There is something very likeable about him and it comes across in his approach to events like that.

Was just going to say the same. There's a few TT's held round here and I seem to have a knack of finding myself in the middle of them. I'm doing 15mph flat out and then I'm overtaken by a succession of skinsuited whippets in pointy hats and riding full carbon aero spaceships. The speed difference is quite sobering...
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Great post Debeli! I've never raced at all, but there is a TT near me, and the sound of those bikes is amazing.

Did anyone else think the twunt in the green Fiesta passed the camera bike too close? I'd have been shouting my head off and giving them the range of my head signals for that.

I guess the road was busier than normal with people wanting to see Wiggo at it, but it looked a busy unpleasant road to me.

I don't understand why people knock him, he's a great character and there's a lot more going on than your average over paid footballer.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    keef66 wrote:
    Was just going to say the same. There's a few TT's held round here and I seem to have a knack of finding myself in the middle of them. I'm doing 15mph flat out and then I'm overtaken by a succession of skinsuited whippets in pointy hats and riding full carbon aero spaceships. The speed difference is quite sobering...

I didn't think the TTers were whippets, just people able to put out loads of watts, but probably unable to climb a hill super quick. I envisage whippets as being skinny and light. :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The vast majority of bony @rses shooting past me and disappearing seemed to be owned by skinny buggers. I'll have to keep my eyes out for those elusive chubby time triallists!