Need help choosing between some £700 bikes

Enbern
Enbern Posts: 5
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey everyone,

I've been slowly getting into MTB this year and following on from an MTB event I completed a couple weeks back, I want a new bike. I did the event on a hybrid MTB with skinny tyres and it was awful, but I absolutely loved it!

So I've managed to narrow it down to two bikes, however I'm absolutely open to better suggestions/alternatives. I'm looking to spend AROUND £700, but will go either way if it requires it.

The Canyon Grand Canyon AL 5.9 or the On-One Parkwood X5.

They both look really nice, from my limited MTB experience they appear to have similar specs (albeit different brand groupsets) and they both look like they would do what I need them to do. They are both £700 but the Canyon will cost me about £50 in delivery as well. I don't mind paying the extra costs if the bike is worth it.

I will mainly be riding trails in my local area (Surrey hills), but will be doing MTB events so XC/downhill capability is necessary.

If either of these bikes aren't suitable, or if you have a better suggestion for the £700ish price range, it would be massively appreciated!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and help with my problem!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What MTB events? You won't be doing Downhill on either of those and presume you mean XC races?

The Canyon would make the better race machine as the Parkwood is more trail orientated, that said it has the better fork. Unfortunately the 16 year old web designed that on-one use has used the frame only spec so its pretty impossible to determine the bulk of the Parkwoods spec - common issue with the rather rubbish on-one website!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Enbern
    Sorry, I should have clarified.

The MTB event I did was a wiggle event, a 23 mile ride around the surrey hills area, it was a lot of trails and singletrack. When I said downhill I didn't really mean full on downhill jumping off rocks, more going down a hill on a trail fast without massive hazards :p I'm not looking to neccessarily race (as in to win, I'd still like to do it fast) but more just enjoy the ride on a bike that's up to it without too much trouble.

I apologise for my lack of description I'm new to this and learning the terms.

Also the On-One website is pretty poor but if you click Customize it shows you the full spec. It's essentially all SRAM X-5 (all of the drivetrain and shifters), Shimano Deore wheels and Avid DB3 brakes.

Do you think the Canyon is the more appropriate/friendly bike? I know bugger all about frame geometry but it looks like the frame is a bit more "standard" compared to the Parkwood?

Really appreciate the reponse, thanks.
  • Enbern
    Also how comparable is the Shimano Deore set on the Canyon to the SRAM X-5 set on the Parkwood?

Thinking about it I'm unlikely to be riding more than 30 miles often (only when doing one of these mtb races) and would predominantly be using it for trails. Maybe more all-mountain than XC. I just want to make sure I get the most suitable bike, unfortunately due to these guys being direct sellers I can't actually try the bike :p
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    X5 and Deore are nominally at the same level, personally I think Deore is a little bit better, but not by enough to sway a whole bike buying decision unless everything else was the same.

Either bike will be fine for the usage (including riding down hills) you describe, for racing id take the Canyon over the On-one, for trail riding vice versa, horses for courses, neither will be bad in any of the situations though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Enbern
    Ok fantastic, just what I wanted to hear, I really really appreciate the help!
  • Of those two, Canyon gets the nod. Considered a board an option?