Build wheel help - Sun Ringle ZJ20 Rim

Matt.dyson
Matt.dyson Posts: 6
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I attempted to build my own front wheel to learn how to do it and to see if I could easily change the hubs on my 2 sets of wheels, so not that bothered about the quality of the components just yet, but ran into a problem with the spokes as I don't think they're the right length (seem too short).

The rim is a 'Sun Ringle ZJ20 Rim' http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/en/s?q=sun+ringle+zj20+rim

And the hub a 'Mr-Ride Enduro Bt02' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mr-ride-Enduro-bearing-Bt02-CNC-Front-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Hub-32H-169g-Black-/131269465019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e904513bb

I tried using just some old 26" spokes I had lying about but they seem too short so could someone help me figure out what size spokes I need please? And recommend me some good value ones if possible?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need a spoke calculator. Plenty online. One on DT Swiss site gets recommended regularly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matt.dyson
    Matt.dyson Posts: 6
    So I'm just trying to figure out the measurements I need...

Rim ERG = 543mm

Pitch circle diameter = 58mm R/L

Flange distance = which numbers do I use R/L here?

Spoke hole size = 2.4?

# spoke = 32

# intersections = 3

Thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spokes come in many sizes spaced just 2mm apart, spoke length is key and picking up a set of 'any old spokes' isn't going to work.

I use the DT Swiss calculator, but first you need to make sure you know how to measure the rim ERD and hub dimensions (diameter and spacing).

Measure the rim, manufacturers ERD's are often wrong.

Flange distance is from the middle of the hub out to the flange centreline.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.