HELP - Chain snapped on my 10 speed ?

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi All

On cycling up a medium incline hill with medium assist, i dropped down a gear and the chain snapped !!!!!

It has not broken on the 'sliding link' part but in the standard part of the chain.

It has Shimano ST derailleur and the chain is 10 speed, with a single front chain ring (not sure size)

Is this repairable or do i need to buy a new one ?

The chain is a HG-X (VIA CN-HG75).

If i buy a new one will it be the correct length or do i search for the correct length ??

Can anyone please advise.

This is the bike -
http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/ ... e_s10.html

Thanks
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• bilabonic
    Ok, been googling away and it looks like it can be repaired with a new pin and a chain tool ?

Am i corrrect.

If so i would rather purchase a quality 'Multitool' with a chain tool built in.

I only have Halfrauds nears me BUT do not mind waiting if i have to order on online.

Thanks
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have no experience of bikes with electric assist, but if it's a standard 10 speed chain and it's just snapped a link without mangling the rest of it, you could just buy some KMC 10 speed Missing Links and rejoin it at the break. You'll need a chain tool to remove the remains of the broken link (s) so both ends of the chain terminate at an inner.

Just make sure you have a chain tool that says it's capable of breaking a 10 speed chain, it's a lot harder to push out a 10 speed pin than one on an 8 or 9 speed chain.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    bilabonic wrote:
    Ok, been googling away and it looks like it can be repaired with a new pin and a chain tool ?

Am i corrrect.

I only have Halfrauds nears me BUT do not mind waiting if i have to order on online.

Thanks

You are correct in that a Shimano 10 speed chain can be joined using the appropriate Shimano 10 speed joining pin with the snap-off piece. I find Missing Links easier though. You may find it too hard to break the 10 speed chain with a multitool. I have a Park Tool Mini Chain Brute which is small enough to take on rides and strong enough to tackle a 10 speed chain. I have a chain tool on my Crank Bros multitool, but fortunately I've never had to try it in anger. I doubt I'd get sufficient leverage on it. I bent 2 cheapo 9 speed tools in the garage before I bought the Chain Brute :shock:
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    +1 For the Park Tools mini chain brute CT-5.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I have experience with electric bikes and some do need an extra long chain which means you need to buy two chains and join them together, having made sure you take off enough links on the second chain to ensure you get the right length. However, your Kalkhoff Impulse does I think use a standard length chain. I would contact the dealer 50 Cycles who will tell you what you need. They sell extra long chains already joined if you need one and they are good at mail order.

As for chain tools on multi-tools, I have found that both Park and Topeak multi-tools have good chain tools which will work fine with 10-speed chains. Halfords sell a good range of Topeak multi-tools.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I have used the Crank Bros chain tool (on the multi-tool) - it is a lot of work and you have to be super careful as it doesn't hold the chain much.

I would use a kmc quick link. And I would carry a couple spare - cos it seems that with a decent amount of effort on your part and that thing on full you would be in the 500-600 watt zone which will see chains breaking
  • bilabonic wrote:
    Am i corrrect.

Maybe try the Halfords, it is possible that they have a mechanic who has stock of the pins and or quick links for just such an occasion
  • bilabonic
    Thanks for all the replies guys, Halfords had no 10 speed chains/pins or links !!!!

I had to travel to a small bike shop and the guy quickly popped the pin out and sold me a pair of KMc 'misssing links'.

The owner also stated that the chain is not stretched BUT has a lot of lateral play in it !!!

It has ONLY done 400 miles BUT i have some killer steep hills near me so i am applying a LOT of torque.

Cheers
  • bilabonic
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I have experience with electric bikes and some do need an extra long chain which means you need to buy two chains and join them together, having made sure you take off enough links on the second chain to ensure you get the right length. However, your Kalkhoff Impulse does I think use a standard length chain. I would contact the dealer 50 Cycles who will tell you what you need. They sell extra long chains already joined if you need one and they are good at mail order.

As for chain tools on multi-tools, I have found that both Park and Topeak multi-tools have good chain tools which will work fine with 10-speed chains. Halfords sell a good range of Topeak multi-tools.

Thanks for the reply mate.

50 cycles have left a message to ring them BUT surely the bike should be fitted with an 'extra long' chain to begin with ?

How do i approach them with regards this as the bike is only a few months old.

I'm pretty sure they will 'fob me off' if i state i need a longer chain.

How does a longer chain help prevent breakages ??

Cheers

ps. - just ordered a CT-5C :)
  • mercia_man
    Some electric bikes such as my wife's need an extra long chain because there is an extra drive cog and jockey wheel behind the cranks which the chain has to wrap around. A standard chain is not long enough to go round them. However, my friend has recently bought a Kalkhoff Impulse similar to yours (but the legal restricted power one) and it doesn't have the extra cog and jockey wheel. I assume yours is the same.

But better to be safe than sorry. That's why I suggest checking with 50 Cycles first. If you do need an extra long chain and you are an inexperienced mechanic, it's best to buy one ready made rather than buying two chains yourself and trying to join them. 50 Cycles are very good.They won't fob you off.

A longer chain is nothing to do with preventing breakages. The length of a chain varies from bike to bike depending on the length of chainstays, the type of gearing such as hub or dérailleur, single, double or triple chainwheels and the cage length of your rear dérailleur. If you have an electric bike with extra drive cog and jockey wheel, it becomes even more complicated. If you are doing the job yourself, the way is to take off your old chain, count the links and adjust your new chain so it has the same number of links. It can vary considerably. A standard bike may take something like 116 links, my wife's electric bike takes from memory something like 135.

As others have said, quick links are a good way to join a chain, particularly if you have a breakage on the road. But you will still probably need a chain tool to extract a half link to fit a quick link.
  • bilabonic
    Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

As you stated mine has a standard single front ring with no 'supporting/extra guide' jockey wheel.

The chain is back on and all 'seems' ok with the quick link.

I have also purchased some pins incase.

Cheers
  • mercia_man
    Glad you are back on the road. Those latest Kalkhoffs with Impulse drive are fantastic. Far superior to the cheapo Chinese built e-bikes that most people sell.

Some people sneer at electric bikes. But I've got an 80-year-old friend, a long-time cyclist, who is now back doing club rides again in Shropshire thanks to his Kalkhoff. And his bike so impressed another local veteran - the first over 80 year old to beat the hour for a 25-mile time trial - that he went off and bought one from 50 Cycles as well.