Decathlon / BTwin FS Budget Bike Advice - 560S?

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi
How is this for a first full suspension MTB?
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-56 ... 22588.html
It is 700 GBP. Can it be beat for the price (it is at my absolute limit)?
Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Decent bike and a bargain at the price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is a perfectly competent FS bike, they are a little flexy, but no worse than many much more expensive frames, they are rather hefty though, although this model is much lighter than the next one down in the range its still not a flyweight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    As always with Decat bikes good spec components for the price.
    I don't think this model has been out long so not many reviews around, if you look on the french decathlon site you'll see its only had 3 reviews and gets 4.5 out of 5, nothing negative said just no long term info available yet.
    For 700GPB (or 900€ here) you'll probebly struggle to find much else at this price.
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    It is a perfectly competent FS bike, they are a little flexy, but no worse than many much more expensive frames, they are rather hefty though, although this model is much lighter than the next one down in the range its still not a flyweight.

lighter than an orange :lol:
  • rsh1960
    rsh1960 Posts: 17
    James, if your buying from decathlon don't forget to sign up for a loyalty card and get money off vouchers.
  • james22b2
    james22b2 Posts: 132
    Thanks everyone. I spotted a Trek Fuel EX6 for the same price in a local cycle shop, is this better or equal component wise? Also, when I went into my local Decathlon to take a look at the 560S, the sales person recommended the Rockrider 700s instead, which is currently reduced as it is on its way out - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-70 ... 89292.html - and said this was two models higher in their range and had better components as well as being cheaper (it was cheaper in store). Any thoughts?
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    James
    FWIW the 700S is also on sale here, reduced from 1000€ to 900€, this is not a hugh reduction for Decat, which would suggest that the bike sold pretty well (or their stock forcast was very accurate) and they dont have many left.
    You are getting last years model of a higher spec/price bike, calling it two levels higher might be stretching it a bit but you are getting even more for your money. The reviews for the 700S on the French site are good, with over 40 reviews it gets 4 out of 5 on average, the only guys rating it 1 or 2 stars were for the usual - had to take it back after one week, something loose needed tightening, rear deraillieur not changing properly etc for me these are typical teething problems with any bike, if you are not too far from your Decat shop this should be easily solved and often they offer a free 3month check up on the bike as well.
    Cheers
    PS: I don't work for Decat, but we shop there a hell of a lot for all our sporting gear and i've only had good experiences so far.
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    REVIEW HERE of the 700S - looks decent for the price.