Recommend me some panniers and a rack please.

thepainandsuffering
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Going to do a little touring for the first time this summer, just 4/5 days and staying in B+B's or hotels so looking for a good pair of strong and waterproof rear panniers and a rack to fit on my Kinesis T2. Ortlieb seem the stand out choice but are not cheep, any others I should look at? Thanks.

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I can recommend the Tortec Velocity rack. It's designed with a slight inward slope, which puts the weight of your panniers more over the rear wheel and feels a lot more stable, especially when out of the saddle. Also quite lightweight, given it can take up to 25kg of luggage. Only downside is you can't really fit anything to the top of the rack.

I use a pair of Vaude panniers, but they're not exactly cheap either!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    JamesEs wrote:
    I can recommend the Tortec Velocity rack. It's designed with a slight inward slope, which puts the weight of your panniers more over the rear wheel and feels a lot more stable, especially when out of the saddle. Also quite lightweight, given it can take up to 25kg of luggage. Only downside is you can't really fit anything to the top of the rack.

I use a pair of Vaude panniers, but they're not exactly cheap either!

+1 for the Tortec Velocity rack. Also quite low profile when not carrying panniers...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Another +1 for Tortec, I got mine about 5 years ago and apart from the paint chips is none the worse for wear. Also surprisingly light yet rated for 35kg or so. Not too expensive either.

Ortleib is pretty much the last word for panniers, but they don't come cheap...
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I guess it all depends on how much use you think you will get from the panniers. A cheapish set with a thick bin bag as a waterproof liner will probably do the job if you are not sure how much use you will get out of them beyond this one trip. Personally, I think it's worth investing in something decent like Ortlieb or Vaude - I bought mine for a 6 month trip around New Zealand several years ago and they have since been used for a few 3-5 day trips, weekend camping expeditions, occasional commuting duties and the weekly shop. £80 may seem like a lot for a pair of bags, but when you consider the fact that they will do you for many, many years, they're actually pretty good value!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another Tortec vote but for the Hybrid Velocity which is slightly wider at the top and another Ortlieb user too though only one bag which I bought pre-owned nearly 3 years ago. Apart from being white it is a brilliant bag.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Ortlieb panniers are brilliant and worth the extra cost. I use the Bike Packer variety with a standard waterproof lid which I find more practical for cycling than the canoe dry bag style roll top variety. Carradice cotton duck are another good high end option - very durable but not ultimately so waterproof. Vaude do similar waterproof panniers to Ortlieb. A problem with cheap panniers, as I have found to my cost, is that although the material might be strong and even waterproof, the fittings are rubbish and they will break. Both Ortlieb and Carradice have really strong fittings in my experience.

I can recommend Blackburn aluminium carriers and steel ones from Tubus and SJS. Ones which have a plate onto which you can screw a rear LED light are really useful. Never used Tortec but they have a good reputation.