Summer Evening's Warm layer ?

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited June 2015 in Road general
Mornin chaps,
Just pondering and still searching for the perfect item to throw on over a short sleeve jersey when it turns cool on a late summer evening...... any advice or siggestions pls ?

I have an Altura Raceline Gilet, which is good, and which I've used with Arm Warmers to, but that means carrying both, which is a bit more than ideal, - what does everyone else use ?
Something that packs well enough for a jersey pocket, but is warm enough to take off the chill after a late ride pub stop, or when the sun drops and temp drops with it !

The Gabba thingies look great, but are they packable enough to carry ok ?

Thx

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    A lightweight long sleeve windstopper is the ideal all-rounder. Mine was fairly inexpensive (for cycle gear) and packs very small and light. I use all year round for added warmth and rain protection. The rest of my layers change (mesh sleeveless top, nothing, SS light base, LS light base, LS medium base or LS warm base) but unless it's really cold and wet the windstopper serves the same role all year. It's on me if I suspect it may warm up later or it's in my back pocket if I think it'll cool down later or might rain. If it's raining heavily from the start I'll wear a proper rain jacket but they don't pack well.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    A Gabba would be too bulky, as would the Fawesome vest

Could always get a Gabba convertible so if it gets cool, you can put the arms on. Otherwise you are down to a packable gilet or something
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • ai_1
    The jacket I was talking about above is similar to this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-wisp-fluro- ... of-jacket/

Mine is a Descente brand one. Don't know if they're still available. Mine's very breathable so I find it's very comfortable unlike a rain-jacket. Not sure if the DHB jacket in the link is the same but it does say breathable (what doesn't ;)). And it's ridiculously cheap compared to most cycle clothing. Also available in other colours if you don't want flouro yellow.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I fear that if a gilet and arm-warmers are on the bulky side, you may have a long search. They can be tiesome to don mid-ride, but they are hardly bulky.

If it's an evening ride, why not just set out in long sleeves? How long is the ride? How many such rides do you have in a year? How uncomfortable can it really get on a warm summer evening ride?

When I was still riding with gusto, the choice was "shorts or tights" and "long sleeves or short sleeves".

Gilets are wonderful for taking the edge of the chill off the chest and they scrunch into almost nothing.

You may be searching for margins on the road to perfection that have yet to be addressed by the industry.

There will always be people keen to sell you the 'latest thing' in both answering questions nobody asked and relieving you of cash, but you may find it unable to match the expectations you place upon it. Keep it simple, keep it cheap and don't let your elbows get colder than your nose.

I hope I have helped.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Debeli wrote:
    I fear that if a gilet and arm-warmers are on the bulky side, you may have a long search. They can be tiesome to don mid-ride, but they are hardly bulky.

If it's an evening ride, why not just set out in long sleeves? How long is the ride? How many such rides do you have in a year? How uncomfortable can it really get on a warm summer evening ride?

When I was still riding with gusto, the choice was "shorts or tights" and "long sleeves or short sleeves".

Gilets are wonderful for taking the edge of the chill off the chest and they scrunch into almost nothing.

You may be searching for margins on the road to perfection that have yet to be addressed by the industry.

There will always be people keen to sell you the 'latest thing' in both answering questions nobody asked and relieving you of cash, but you may find it unable to match the expectations you place upon it. Keep it simple, keep it cheap and don't let your elbows get colder than your nose.

I hope I have helped.

+1

Having said that, I would love a long sleeve jersey made entirely out of the stuff they use for the back of the fawesome (nonflex but not the fleece lined variety that is to warm for summer) and with arms that zip off to short sleeves. Actually, I would love some 3/4 bibs made from the same stuff (the nanoflex bibs they make are too warm already in the UK because they are only made in roubaix material).
  • zak3737
    Debeli wrote:

I hope I have helped.

Thx for comments.
    The Gilet AND Arm Warmers option really takes up 2 pockets, so I'm guessing that a lightweight jacket of some sort is gonna be less to carry, but just as effective.
    Its amazing how much colder it can get from setting out at 5/6pm, with the sun out, and late afternoon warmth, to 8/9pm when dusk approaches, and the temp drops. Last Friday evening, it did cloud over, but jeezuz it cooled off.

I guess a very lightweight but 'Windproof' jacket is the answer.
  • apreading
    I wouldnt want to wear a lightweight jacket without arm warmers anyway though - they are generally unpleasant and sticky if worn directly against skin, unless the arms are mesh lined but then it probably wouldnt be lightweight and packable.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Sportful Fiandre No Rain Top might fit the bill. Tried one on the other day, nice fit and should be very breathable.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... norain-top
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    I have one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-shell-jacket/
    It should do for what you want, very lightweight, it literally is a gilet with arms.

Although I must ask, how does a gilet and arm warmers take up 2 pockets? Arm warmers would fill most pockets, but a gilet is so thin and packable that it should still squeeze into a 'full' pocket in my experience.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    IanRCarter wrote:
    I have one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-shell-jacket/
    It should do for what you want, very lightweight, it literally is a gilet with arms.

Although I must ask, how does a gilet and arm warmers take up 2 pockets? Arm warmers would fill most pockets, but a gilet is so thin and packable that it should still squeeze into a 'full' pocket in my experience.

Worst case... Roll down the arm warmers to become sweatbands :lol:
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've got one of these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-pocket-rocket-jacket/
    I wear it in spring over a long sleeve shirt or short sleeve shirt with arm warmers. I even wear it in winter when it's cold over several layers. It packs down small and keeps me warm. The only problem is that its not that tight fitting like all similar jackets, so the wind can slow you down a lot. I like soft shell jackets as they also keep me warm, but you can't really take them off when you get warm. I also have gilets which I have worn a lot, but in the recent cold weather even a gilet alone over a long sleeve shirt doesn't keep me warm.

Ideally I would like a tight fitting lightweight long sleeve top layer that would keep me warm, but have not found one yet.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Zak3737 wrote:
    The Gilet AND Arm Warmers option really takes up 2 pockets,

Not on my jersey's they don't. Easily fit in the centre back pocket (the recent daytime weather has been cool enough for me to carry both, as well as wearing a wind-stopper ss base layer under my jersey)
  • apreading
    rafletcher wrote:
    Zak3737 wrote:
    The Gilet AND Arm Warmers option really takes up 2 pockets,

Not on my jersey's they don't. Easily fit in the centre back pocket (the recent daytime weather has been cool enough for me to carry both, as well as wearing a wind-stopper ss base layer under my jersey)

I guess it depends on your arm warmers - one shouldnt judge based on winter arm warmers which would probably be too thick in the summer. If you have lightweight, thin arm warmers they generally dont take any space at all.
  • zak3737
    Maybe I need to fold/roll more efficiently ?! & see if the Centre Pocket is larger !

The Sportful No-Rain looks superb, if a little pricey. But, I guess you get whatcha pay for & all that.
  • ai_1
    Zak3737 wrote:
    .....I guess you get whatcha pay for & all that.
    Otherwise it's called stealing :wink:
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    At 7 to 9 degrees in the morning I use a short sleeved top and a base layer. A bit chilly for 5 minutes, but fine after that.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Had one of these for years, stuffs into its own little sac around the size of an apple, weighs nothing, keeps the chill off nicely.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/wind ... vlo-jacket
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    jp1970 wrote:

Worst case... Roll down the arm warmers to become sweatbands :lol:

Exactly. This is how you do it when riding in the mountains. pull them down when climbing and back up again for the descents. No real need to carry arm warmers in a back pocket, IMO.
  • zak3737
    You're assuming a ride hard enough to break sweat !
    ;-)
  • nicube
    nicube Posts: 175
    I use my Castelli Velo jacket, rolls up into nothing so fits in a jersey pocket with problem and is surprisingly warm when I get a wriggle on!
    LOOK 795 Aerolight Dura ace Di2
    LOOK 675 Dura ace mechanical
    LOOK 595 105
    Cinelli Zydeco
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Stuff a sheet of newspaper up your jersey.
  • apreading
    Alex222 wrote:
    Sportful Fiandre No Rain Top might fit the bill. Tried one on the other day, nice fit and should be very breathable.

Just got one to try and all I can say is :shock: WOW!!! :shock:

Exactly what I have been waiting for - the thinnest norain/nanoflex type material, really light, I think it will be exceptionally breathable and great fit & feel. Once again, BR just cost me a chunk of money...

Quite a few of the comments on Wiggle suggest people packing it into a jersey pocket but the pockets must bulge a bit if you do.

Only complaint - no Haribo, what is wrong with Wiggle? I shall take my custom elsewhere if this ever happens again!
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    apreading wrote:
    Alex222 wrote:

Just got one to try and all I can say is :shock: WOW!!! :shock:

Exactly what I have been waiting for - the thinnest norain/nanoflex type material, really light, I think it will be exceptionally breathable and great fit & feel. Once again, BR just cost me a chunk of money...

Quite a few of the comments on Wiggle suggest people packing it into a jersey pocket but the pockets must bulge a bit if you do.

Only complaint - no Haribo, what is wrong with Wiggle? I shall take my custom elsewhere if this ever happens again!
    I was very keen having tried it on. Had seen it for £60 on Wiggle, but then when I went back it was at £90 which is more than I want to spend.
  • zak3737
    Jumped in and picked up a Sportful Liht No-Rain jacket, arrived today.
    Feels superb, very light and the material is clearly wind/rain proof, and its really well finished.
    I'm a normal L/XL, - def XL in cycle gear, but went for an XXL........
    Fat chance, tis made for midgets ! I can get it on, but its ultra snug, and with a base layer and longsleeve in winter, would be less than ideal, so am chaging for an XXXL !!
    Madness, I'm only a 43/44" Chest, hardly herculean !

Bl@@dy lovely top tho, looking forward to wearing over the summer when req.
  • Also got a Castelli Velo. Very breathable, yet still keeps the chill off. I go out early mornings with the Velo and arm warmers, and come home in the evenings with just a SS jersey.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am tall, not of a very slim build and find a Gore Bike Wear Power Windstopper Active Shell Jacket works well for me on or off road biking. It is very light, stops the wind and keeps me warm with a short sleeve top underneath. It packs away easily into a jersey pocket. While it is fitted it is not very tightly fitted so may not suit some people.
  • Zak3737 wrote:

Rugby build? All muscle?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • zak3737
    Zak3737 wrote:

Rugby build? All muscle?

Of course ! ;-)
    Interested ?
  • Zak3737 wrote:
    Zak3737 wrote:

Rugby build? All muscle?

Of course ! ;-)
    Interested ?

In what?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles