Forks wanting to "centre".?

Mr Bungle
Mr Bungle Posts: 114
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi all

I have a problem with my front headset - the best way I can describe it is as follows ................

If i gently turn handlebars left to right ( and back ), things are smooth until I get near "straight " where the forks seem to want to centre .

This is exaggerated if I lift the front end up and gradually tilt the bike enough for the handlebars to turn under the weight of the wheel - it will move smoothly but then Stick in the centre - the bike then has to be tilted quite a lot until the bars suddenly snap out of centre
I hope this makes sense ?

It seems to be getting worse - any ideas ? :)

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Sounds like one of the races is 'notched' from bangs while running with the headset slightly loose. Will need replacing.
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    Agree with goose, was very common on old loose bearing headsets. Best to just replace it.
  • Mr Bungle
    g00se wrote:
    Sounds like one of the races is 'notched' from bangs while running with the headset slightly loose. Will need replacing.

Cheers mate - sorry for being thick what exactly needs replacing ?

So is tis a common thing - and does getting worse sound right ?
  • Mr Bungle
    lapavoni10 wrote:
    Agree with goose, was very common on old loose bearing headsets. Best to just replace it.

Gotcha ! Cheers for your help guys
  • Mr Bungle
    [url][/url]
    Mr Bungle wrote:
    lapavoni10 wrote:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-comp-dr ... h-headset/

I have a caad 8- would this one from wiggle fit the bill ?
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Mr Bungle wrote:
    [url][/url]
    Mr Bungle wrote:
    lapavoni10 wrote:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-comp-dr ... h-headset/

I have a caad 8- would this one from wiggle fit the bill ?

should be ok - have a look on you tube / park tool for how to fit or take to your LBS