Hope 40T-Rex

hanhamreds
hanhamreds Posts: 100
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I received one of these cassette expanders, don't know why I ordered it really as I seem plenty fit enough (roadie) for my 32T 11-36 setup, guess I was just looking for a bit more insurance/bling!

Anyway I installed it onto my PG1020 and removed the 17T, but I seemed to be getting issues with upshifting from 11T through to the 22T when doing the full 5 jumps, so I removed it.

downshifting was fine, so was upshifting from 36T to 40T.

anyone have a similar experience with one of these?

I'm running a X7 type 2.1 rear mech, with X7 shifter.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have you set the B screw correctly?
  • hanhamreds
    Have you set the B screw correctly?

yep.

Gave it another go tonight, shifting seem to be ok, but I didn't like the double down shift whilst pedalling backwards in the 40T - sending back.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't pedal backwards. Any mech will shift up doing that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Been running one since January on an XT transmission - only problem is a smooth upshift where the 17 sprocket came out. Ridden over 1000 miles in some sometimes horrible conditions and looks to have plenty of wear left. Sounds like the OP has more fundamental issues with drivetrain set-up
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • hanhamreds
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Been running one since January on an XT transmission - only problem is a smooth upshift where the 17 sprocket came out. Ridden over 1000 miles in some sometimes horrible conditions and looks to have plenty of wear left. Sounds like the OP has more fundamental issues with drivetrain set-up

No my drivetrain is fine - no issues whatsoever with the original cassette. I did notice the lack of smoothness upshifting from the 15 to 19T - not surprising though is it really, just don't leave your upshift to the last minute!

Anyway I've sent it back as I really don't need it - plenty fit enough to run 32 * 36T.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Changing the 15 for a DuraAce 16t helps to fill the void between 15 and 19. As for backpedalling, it really is a non issue because if you can find time to backpedal in the 40t then you are in the wrong gear.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    sending back.

Good decision, especially as XT 11speed 11-40 cassettes are just around the corner.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    sending back.

Good decision, especially as XT 11speed 11-40 cassettes are just around the corner.

Which are 11 speed so as a minimum require a new mech and shifter too.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I Know :roll:

Point being you'll probably be able to pick up an 11 speed shifter, a 40-42t compatible rear mech (one that doesn't need to be bodged) and a proper cassette for the price of a Hope expander, 10 speed cassette and oneup cage, if your due a new cassette/chain anyway its almost a no brainer.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    So have you looked at the prices of the XT kit then, you'll be looking at around £200 for all that, the cassette alone is £68 on CRC with a rrp of £75