Rapha rain jacket - how packable?(or rain cape)

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Always liked the look of the Rapha rain jacket and thinking of purchasing one and was wondering if it would pack into a jacket pocket if folded correctly. Website says it packable!

Also wondering if anybody has experience with the rain cape and a long shot here but wondering if somebody has both then how do they compare>
Brian B.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It will fit in a jersey pocket, but it's not one of those kind of things that packs down so well that you'd take it out 'just in case', I wouldn't say it's any less packable than most other dedicated rain jackets though. It's great at what it does though, so if it's raining or very likely to rain then it's great to take. Something like a Sportful Hotpack 5 will do for the 'just in case' but won't last long if it tips down.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Yes either will fit if folded sensibly, but as mentioned not really an emergency jacket.

I had a rain jacket but that's now gone as I prefer the fit of the Race cape, however I don't use it very often as no matter what anyone says they don't breath enough and you still get wet on the inside. I guess that's why the Gabba seems to be the go to piece of kit for the wet nowadays.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Agree with the comments. The jacket easily packs into a jersey pocket but it takes the whole pocket. I tend to take it if I know that rain is highly likely or it is actually raining. If it's just a shower then I take a smaller, water resistant jacket that is a bit lighter.

I've been out in heavy rain in the rain jacket and it definitely delivers. It's as breathable as any waterproof I've tried (within the constraints of a true waterproof) and keeps you very dry. Nice piece of kit.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you are getting one, worth also buying a thing of apparel treater to maintain the water resistance after the washing machine.

Peter
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Looks like rain cape may be the way to go. I tend to run a bit cold and can find myself in a long sleeve jersey even in slightly colder summer days and like having a decent shower proof in my back pocket.

I already own several actual rain jackets that don't see any use at all(I tend not to ride in the wet so have ruled out the Rain Jacket) and a few packable's like the hot pack that I usually stuff into my pocket if going out all day if there is a risk of a shower or two. Also got the SS Gabba's which twinned with the arm warmers and a gilet give excellent versatility and protection for weather in Blighty.

Problem is all my gear is black and when its fine for dry conditions I want something more visible if caught out in a heavy downpour but also has a bit of bling.

Decision made = flouro yellow rain cape.

Thanks for the help
    Brian B.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would go into the shop and see the size. It's hardly small and does require careful packing to make it fit.

Have you considered something like the castelli alpha which is warm with a degree of water resistence?