Lapierre zesty cracked frame

blondesam501
blondesam501 Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Just want some advise really,i am one of those all the gear not much idea type of people.I bought a Lapierre Zesty in 2012 and last week noticed the frame has cracked.I took it back to Evans and they have sent all the info off to Lapierre.The result is they have offered to replace the frame with a Lapierre spicy 2014 team frame,now like i said all the gear no idea.Obviously the intention is for Evans to swap my current parts to the replacemnt frame,which i have to say i am not keen on.So is this even possible fork size,wheel size,etc etc.So i appreciate that you guys are much more up to speed on the tec and spec side of things and wanted some advice before i progress.All advise gratefully received.I know the frame was an issue on lots of zesty 2012 models,anybody else had a similar answer from the supplier.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wouldn't it be easier to ask Evans? If it's not possible they can't do it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I can't see that Lapierre would offer to replace a 2012 frame with a 2014 frame if it was incompatible.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im fairly sure the 2012 bike has 26" wheels and the 2014 has 27.5"
  • cooldad
    I think you are right.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So it will run a BB 1/2" lower, very modern, or just wangle some larger tyres for the 26" with the same rolling radius as 27.5 (27")?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    there are two things here

the wording of the warranty - you should see if it says what they should replace.

the sale of goods act - evans should be providing a suitable replacement and a 650b frame for a 26 isn't so you would be within your rights to refuse the frame and request refund or repair (obviously repair isn't going to happen).
  • cooldad
    Doubt SOGA would apply on a three year old bike.

Warranty states:

"all warranty claims will be considered only following an expert review of the bicycle by lapierre.
    the dealer is responsible for paying any travel or shipment costs related to a warranty claim. all bikes or
    frames returned without due postage will be refused. labor cost for the replacement of a frame or a triangle
    are at the expense of lapierre, only if the claim is made less than 3 years after the date of purchase of the
    bike.
    should the bicycle or any of its parts be determined to be covered by this warranty, it will be repaired or
    replaced with a new, identical or corresponding part. lapierre cannot guarantee the availability of all frames
    and colors.
    in case of any compatibility problems with other parts due to a replacement frame not being identical to the
    original one, lapierre will deliver, free of charge, compatible replacement parts, if the claim is made within 3
    years of the original date of purchase of the bike. after these 3 years, the cost of these parts is at the owner’sexpense should he accept the corresponding price quote."

So depends when in 2012 it was bought.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    Doubt SOGA would apply on a three year old bike.

sale of goods depends on how long the bought item is expected to last. So a battery would not have the same expectation as a bike
  • cooldad
    I have a dozen or so bikes between 20 and 30 years old. (And some newer ones). Not sure how long they were supposed to last, but they are all in one piece so obviously none of them are Lapierres.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    if the 2014 frame is 650b which is pretty likely its just the wheels and fork that be the issue as all the rest of the parts should transfer over, can you do this yourself?

My opinion I would take the offer of the new 2014 frame and sell the wheels/fork off old bike and get new 650b compatible ones, just depends if blondesam501 can afford to?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    CD can you post a picture of your junkyard? Er, sorry, I mean shed/bike storage area?
  • cooldad
    CD can you post a picture of your junkyard? Er, sorry, I mean shed/bike storage area?
    How rude. Nothing recent but this was my my conservatory a while back. (Added another four since then but tidied up a bit - parts in boxes are now labelled and shelved - my partner is good like that.)
    Another half a dozen or so in the shed - I kind of lose count (plus a bunch of old wheels in the attic.)

Maybe my whole house is a junkyard?

10612632_10152690145163774_1782329434959092969_n.jpg?oh=96f36e86418955b611a55b4ed6b7074e&oe=55C86D7E
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You could take the 650b frame and sell it unused for good money and buy a better 26" frame used.
    You could get a nice Santa Cruz Blur carbon or Yeti SB66 or Transition Bandit for what you would get for your 650b frame.
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Id defy go back to Evans and see if they can wangle a fork and wheels to suit the frame. Surely they won't give you oddly matched parts
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike