4nm or 5nm Ritchey Torque Key?

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited May 2015 in Road general
Hi,

I have bought a 5nm ritchey torque key however I'm wondering if i should have gone for 4nm as all my ritchey components say MAX 5nm?

Is 5nm correct or is 4nm enough and 5nm over kill on stem bolts and seatpost clamp?

Cheers

Comments

• Garybarker
    Garybarker Posts: 44
    I've been using one for quite a while on carbon posts and steerers without any issues :D
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I used to use 4nm, I read online that when measured some of the 5nm are actually reading 5.7 nm. My max setting are 6nm but I did not want to risk it. I have since bought a adjustable wrench and with carbon paste hold the post at 4nm without it slipping. If yours is 5nm max then I would not be using the 5nm key.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    We've got 2 x 5Nm Ritchey Torque keys (one for me, one for my son who comes home every now and then to get his bike serviced!). Both keys release at the same point and are consistent with my "proper" (but not as convenient) torque wrench. I have no worries at all about using them for torqueing bolts rated at 5Nm.
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    I would think that as with most things there will be a 'factor of safety' in the recommended maximum rather than it being an absolute figure.
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    my 5nm ritchey torque key over torques so I no longer use it for clamping to carbon parts.