What frame to buy?

Jorkins95
Jorkins95 Posts: 9
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi new on here, thought I would join just to get some useful information and insight, I'm only 19 but I used to do a lot of riding at trail centers and local trails since early teens with my dad, in the past the 2-3 years I lost interest in riding a bit but recently I've got back on the bike mainly on our local-ish Cotswold trails, and yesterday took part in the Heaven of the South 50km ride. I'm now starting to get back into it and really want to work on my fitness and technique, probably aiming for at least one or two rides a week if time allows, and hopefully look towards taking part in some more organised rides in future.

I've been riding my dad's Marin Rocky Ridge, which is a nice bike, but in the next few weeks/months I'm looking to put together something new. I'm thinking definitely a hardtail, but probably something shorter travel (maybe 120-130mm if that) and a lot more lightweight than the Marin. I'm not looking for a featherweight xc bike, but something substantially lighter. I don't have a massive budget, I'm won't be looking to spend anything more than £400 on the frame itself. I'm thinking a steel frame is probably best for now but open to ideas, I also like the idea of running the bike rigid in winter just for a change and something different. I'd be open to buying a used frame and parts too.

I've done a little research and so far the Dialled Bikes Prince Albert frame looks to be a good shout, but the offerings from On One, Ragley and Cotic also look good. Any ideas or info would be much appreiciated, cheers.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    In my long time of riding MTB's I have never seen featherweight and cheap in the same sentence, so what overall budget do you have in mind.

If you are looking to spend £400 on the frame then the Cotic Soul at £499 is outside of this, a Bird Zero at £375 is in budget, http://shop.birdmtb.com/framesets.html.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why steel? Some decent carbon frames out there for less than £400.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jorkins95
    robertpb wrote:
    In my long time of riding MTB's I have never seen featherweight and cheap in the same sentence, so what overall budget do you have in mind.

If you are looking to spend £400 on the frame then the Cotic Soul at £499 is outside of this, a Bird Zero at £375 is in budget, http://shop.birdmtb.com/framesets.html.

Yeah like I said, I'm not really looking for a featherweight, just something much lighter than what I'm using at the moment, I would possibly stretch my budget to a Cotic frame or find a lightly used one but then I could get a Dialled Prince Albert or something for less so would have to be convinced that the Cotic frame is worth the extra amount.

Budget-wise I am thinking just over a grand, but I have a fair few bits already to use, and this will likely be a slower build just due to having other priorities at the moment
  • Jorkins95
    The Rookie wrote:
    Why steel? Some decent carbon frames out there for less than £400.

I'm not set on steel, I was only thinking this way because I know there are a fair few decent steel frames around now. I did notice that the On One Lurcher frame is going cheap now, but that suggested to me that they were only going cheap because they've struggled to shift them? Carbon would be possible though not a bad shout
  • The Rookie
    The Lurcher is a decent frame, not amazingly light, but not very heavy either.

With all the frames you mention having different intended uses, I think first you need to decide what style of riding
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jorkins95
    The sort of riding I will be doing will mainly be local trails, which are generally quite fast and not too rocky, but do have their steep technical bits, then other local trails like Leigh Woods and Ashton Court in Bristol, and probably some day rides in the Mendips and Quantocks, but I will also be doing to odd trail centre with my dad.

Originally I was thinking probably just switching the parts off the Marin Rocky Ridge onto a new frame like a Dialled Bikes PA or Alpine, but after the 50km I did on the weekend I decided that I definately want something that will climb better, and that 140mm travel is overkill for probably 80% or more of my local trails (probably about right for trail centres though). So the dilemma is should I build a tough (probably steel) longer travel hardtail and just grind it out for the climbs, or build something lighter with less travel (the Lurcher) and have a fast xc/trail orientated bike that is easier to climb.

Personally I'm swaying towards the latter, because I can always borrow one of my dads full sus bikes if we do a Bikepark Wales trip again or something. I would be interested to hear any information regarding the On One Lurcher just because it looks like such good value.
  • The Rookie
    Given your described Usage, I'd be going for a competant trail bike frame such as the Lurcher, maybe consider 650B as a compromise bewteen the longer rides you do when you may consider a 29er and the more fun stuff when a smaller wheel will be a benefit.

Alternatively how about a 456 carbon with travel adjust forks, 4-5" for singletrack/trail rides and out to 5-6" for the fun stuff?
  • Jorkins95
    Thanks for the ideas, I'm thinking definitely build a xc/trail bike rather than a 'hardcore' hardtail now.

Not sure why, but the Lurcher frame is really growing on me - I could use it as the xc all-day rider and trail bike in summer, and run it rigid as a winter bike too - using the Rocky Ridge or one of my dad's full sus bikes if we do go to a trail centre etc.

I've done a bit of research and although the Lurcher didn't seem to get the best review on here, they seem well-liked in general on forums and great value for money. Would be interesting to hear any more insights into the Lurcher?
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I can't offer any advice on the lurcher, sorry.

I have built up a Cotic BeFe for my girlfriend, it's not superlight but certainly not heavy, last weekend we did a 50km ride quite comfortably. It's got great geometry and is a lot of fun to ride, a freind of mine uses a Soul for XC rides and trail center stuff when he doesn't fancy riding his FS.

I would say either of these would do you well, but also the Bird Zero, and On-One 456. Try to get a demo before buying if you can.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Jorkins95
    Thanks for the response, I have actually looked at the Cotic Bfe before and last year my dad was looking at getting a Cotic Soul 27.5 but eventually decided that he didn't need another bike! The Bfe looks similar to the Dialled Bikes Alpine, both look bombproof but sounds like the Cotic is a slightly better all rounder. Until this thread I hadn't heard of Bird, but also looks like a decent frame.

I think I'm going to go with something lighter and shorter travel though, just because that will suit my local trails better, which is where the majority of my riding will be done - maybe swap the Rocky Ridge parts onto a Bfe frame or something though after this build is done!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    robertpb wrote:

add in china and you've got cheap and light :|
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I got a charge duster frame for less than £200 and built a 1x10 from second hand parts. Recommend it as an option. I like the steel frame.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    POAH wrote:
    robertpb wrote:

But what about strong?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    oodboo wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    robertpb wrote:

But what about strong?

where do you think most of the carbon stuff is made, its not the far west
  • The Rookie
    Plenty of cheap light and strong Chinese parts out there.

There open mould carbon frames are perfectly good, I know a few people using them with no issue, you can even get custom paint jobs at a very reasonable price.
  • Jorkins95
    FishFish wrote:
    I got a charge duster frame for less than £200 and built a 1x10 from second hand parts. Recommend it as an option. I like the steel frame.

Thanks, yeah I have looked at the Charge bikes before, but didn't really consider them for this build - roughly what sort of weight does your build come to?
  • Jorkins95
    Cheers for the input everyone - I have to go up Sheffield way in a fortnight's time anyway, so decided to stop off at the On One dealership there, where I can have a look at the Lurcher and 45650b frames and complete bikes and test them out for size, if I get on with these I will likely get one, but I could miss out because stocks will be going low I suppose.