Fizik and sit bone measurements

Lugnegard
Lugnegard Posts: 13
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everybody!

I got a little question about Fizik and their Spine Concept. The way I'm taught when it comes to saddles is that you measure your sitbones and choose a saddle with the correct with (very simplified, I know). But Fizik's Spine concept doesn't take this into consideration, as it seems at least. The only focus on how flexible you are?

Does this really work? I'm a real snake when it comes to how soft my spine is, but my sit bones are 130mm apart, which should mean that my saddle should be at least 145mm wide. The Arione is 132 wide and should by standard bike fit theory not fit me. But Fizik says it is the right saddle for me... My LBS says that a Spec Toupe 155 is good for me. But I, or my butt, doesn't like that saddle :/

What's your take on this?

Comments

• wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Sit bone (so called) width is deceptive as a measurement - it changes as your pelvis rotates (or not) in the posture of riding. Check out Selle SMP site or Steve Hogg bike fitting site for an explanation and photos of a skeletal pelvis positioned on a saddle and all will become clear!
  • Lugnegard
    Lugnegard Posts: 13
    Thanks a bunch!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    My sit bones are 110 and I am currently riding a 135 toupe which was measured for me on the BG system. I ve got an Arione on test and it feels pretty good. Its meant to be for the Snake but I m about as Flexible as a Frozen Salmon.

Most places have the Fiziks on Test, I actually love the look of the Yellow and Purple Crash Test saddle currently on my Evo Six.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    My sit bones are 105mm and I ride a 143mm Antares, which is incredibly comfortable. I 'should' be on an Arione both width wise and flexibility, but the Antares is much better for me.