Single speed flat bars to drop

wesenhaft
wesenhaft Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi everyone. I've been looking around for something on this and I can't really find anything that answers my question. All topics on this subject that I've come across always deal with converting hybrids and of course everyone gives the same answers about brake compatibility, shifters, and on and on.
I have a single speed road bike that I have been riding for about 4 months and love very dearly, but I'm starting to get a little frustrated over the lack of hand position with the flat bars and would like to convert them. As such, I do not have or need shifters and that is not the issue.
I have Alhonga dual-pivot caliper brakes with "Artek Vigorous" levers.
Really, I'm flexible on whether I choose bullhorn or drop in the end, but what I'd like to know is whether I can just replace the brake levers with ones more suitable for drop bars (if I go with drop) or if that's not possible with my brake system. Alternatively, is it feasible to place my brakes on the tops instead? I've seen this done, with bullhorns as well, but would I still need new levers for that? Really, I'm not too attached to the levers in any case, they're a little clunky, but if I could convert the bars without changing them, I wouldn't bother.

Thank you!

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You could run your current brakes on the flat part of either type of bar, provided the diameter of the bar matches the brake mounts.

Or you could just put bar ends on what you have now and effectively have bullhorns with your current brakes on the flat part...
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    As said, you could just attach the brakes to the flat part. BUT this would mean that you couldn't attach anything else there - and the space is pretty limited anyway - things like lights or a GPS unit.

And you would lose the advantage of the drops on descents - you want the brakes at your fingertips when going downhill and having them up at the flat bit would mean that you couldn't use the flat bit..

I would pick up something like these (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r400-brake-levers/) and use them instead. Much easier to use than brakes on the flat bits if you have drops..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Road bars have a different (bigger) diameter to a flat bar so you'll need to use a road lever. A reverse lever works better on a bullhorn that a drop lever but you're still limited by hand positions. Tektro do lots of drop bar levers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..