Kit for 3 days in Alp D 'Huez

Quins
Quins Posts: 239
edited May 2015 in Road general
Thanks to everyone who gave advice regarding the rucksack conundrum. I've decide I would like to try the layering option and carry stuff in pockets. It's 3 days cycling in early June ( travel on Saturday 6th, cycle sun, min, turns, return Wednesday. Staying in chalet in Bourg D'Oisin Pretty condensed trip.

DHB bib shorts, the £30 ish ones. Did 107 mile ride last week, no probs. regular 56-80 milers. 1 pair.
Will get another pair?

Shoes, I'm in shimano no M085 math bike shoes, heavy but comfy. Mates say change to spd SL , except one who says don't bother, the cleats wear out quickly compared to spd.

Grateful for advice on what clothing to take and carry on the rides. Robbo , you said I didn't have the right kit, here is what I have and what I intend to invest in.

Socks? I wear 2 pairs if it's chilly, sometimes a 1000 mile running sock.

Gilet& pertex jacket
I have a Giant Gilet, lightweight for rear pocket,,a Montane micro lite pertex rain cape sits rear of saddle in own pouch.

Arm, leg, knee warmers
I've never worn arm or leg warmers but will try them. Probably order a couple of sizes from Wiggle. Judging by the reviews I could get away with knee warmers as I am short in the leg? But then I wonder if the knee section will fit? A mate seats get knee warmers, he found that they tended not to bunch up as did the leg warmers he had....
Any other recommendations? I do have running tights with stirrup bottom , would these suffice?

Base layers
I have a couple of merino long sleeve base layers but even in winter they got v sweaty. So what type of material for short sleeve base layer? Any recommendations ( DHB would be handy I suppose).
How many, take a spare one in rear pocket in plastic bag?

Jersey
I have 2 club jerseys that have full zip up front and usual pockets at rest, not wind proof. 1 Long and 1 short sleeved.

Gloves
Mitts, full fingered wooly not tec at all and a DHB winter pair ( v wintery type hands will sweat)

Overshoes? I have some beaten up Altura neoprene ones (for rear pocket?)
Buff and skull cap for rear pocket ?

Accessories
small saddle bag with spare tubes, levers, tool, lightweight lock, lezyne pump, rear pocket,
Energy gels etc,in rear pocket, phone/camera, wallet.

Is this going to be enough to cater for changeable weather?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The weather (in particular temperature) can/will change a lot during the day and from base to summit. It was -4C over night at the top at night last June when I was there but 33C and 94% RH by early afternoon. You seem to have kit to cover most eventualities. A change of shorts (or good washing and overnight drying facilities) is a good idea. You don't want an infection/rash.

As for cleats/pedals - old debate but I've always found SPD-SL to be a broader and more stable pedalling platform so that's what I use on the roadie. I used to use SPD and continue to on the MTB without major issues.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    The thing that stood out for me was this rain cape thing. In my mind I see this

RainCape_1.jpg

Is this the kind of thing you have? if so ditch it and buy a cheap packable shell jacket for descending and wind and rain protection. the DHB clear race jacket is cheap and works well.

then just have regular summer base layer (DHB/any), short sleeved summer jersey and regular bibs. (two of everything would be a good idea). Arm, knee and leg warmers can be put on or removed whenever needed. in this way, you don't need long sleeved jerseys or bib tights which cannot be removed when it warms up. The Gilet can be worn on cool days and packed if it warms up.

winter gloves will be fine, no need to buy more.

I wouldn't bother packing overshoes mid ride either wear them on the day or leave them in the hotel.

No harm in bringing winter gear on the trip, you can wear it if you know the weather will be awful, but to be honest I would not ride the passes if the weather is that bad.

some sort of buff/skullcap might be useful but in June, I probably wouldn't take one.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Did the marmott route last year, we rode in scorching33 degrees of sun at the base of the telegraph, a hail storm at the base of galibier and a descent in 3 degrees (with drizzle) from the top. The weather can be really variable in the mountains.

My go-to gear was merino arm/knee warmers and a good gillet. I also packed a very packable water resistant jacket (rapha City in my case). I had a rain jacket as well with me but never managed to get the forecast right and actually bring it out. That combination will see you through most conditions, with judicious use of coffee stops.
  • Quins
    Thanks. My water resistant jacket ( sorry, don't know why I refer to it as cape?) is not like the one in above photo, it's cycling pertex jacket. I don't have a specific waterproof jacket, I only have a DHB windslam , I wear the montane over. But I would be able to carry the windslam other than wearing it.

What's a good gillet? I have one by Giant, mesh on the upper back, very light weight.

quite a bit to consider.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Quins wrote:
    Thanks. My water resistant jacket ( sorry, don't know why I refer to it as cape?) is not like the one in above photo, it's cycling pertex jacket. I don't have a specific waterproof jacket, I only have a DHB windslam , I wear the montane over. But I would be able to carry the windslam other than wearing it.

What's a good gillet? I have one by Giant, mesh on the upper back, very light weight.

quite a bit to consider.

This is a rather good Gilet, but also seriously expensive:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-igfalkenz ... ell-gilet/

But I am sure this would do a more than adequate job:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-roubaix-gilet/

With the summer base layer and jersey, the Gilet and a shell jacket with arm/leg warmers, you'll be good down to near freezing and can remove items bit by bit as it warms up or when you are riding in the valleys.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    robbo gives good advice.

But I think you may be over-thinking this. Three rides from Bourg in June, you have control of when and where you ride. If it's raining then you're getting wet, I never worry about that. But on the way up that's just not a problem. The issue is not freezing when descending. So something windproof and a big dose of man-up covers most eventualities. It doesn't take very long to get back down, just protect your chest.

I had a week in Bourg two or three years ago, same week as you, weather was perfect rising to too warm. Be optimistic and remember there are shops in Bourg selling all sorts of useful cycling gear, and that might be more fun that something from Wiggle.

Paul
  • Quins
    Robbo, Paul thanks. I had already looked at the DHB gilet, no sizes available for me only s and xs left. I am putting lot of thought into it, probably worrying too much. I've got some kit on order, various size arm and knee warmers to try. I will stop fretting and go with the flow, as you say there are shops out there if I get stuck for something. Looking forward to it.