Tyre Width

Zoidy
Zoidy Posts: 4
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,
First time poster - please be gentle :D
My 16 year old son as a Trek Mountain Bike and has asked me to change the Tyre's to something more smoother for pavement and tarmac, easier to ride use.

Current Tyre set is : Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.25" front, 26x2.20" rear

My limited understanding is he has to have the 26" for obvious reasons but reading the forum am I correct in stating he does not necessarily have to have the 2.55" or 2.20" width?

I'm looking for some options and advice on what he could have before I order.
The bike is the one in the link below, he only wants it for leisure use.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/20 ... /trek/4500

Thanks in advance

Z.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You can put a set of these on, cheap, a bit heavy, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... lsrc=aw.ds
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Zoidy wrote:
    My limited understanding is he has to have the 26" for obvious reasons but reading the forum am I correct in stating he does not necessarily have to have the 2.55" or 2.20" width?

Correct.

Tyres with a lower profile tread (smaller knobbly bits, or a more continuous tread pattern like the previous poster linked to) will roll easier because the tyre deforms less. A lighter tyre will also roll more easily, because there's less to move. A narrower sized tyre with a slick or semi-slick tread pattern will be a big improvement on the road.
  • Zoidy
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    If you look at the Trek spec there are two different widths front and back, is it fine to put the same size on both front and back?
    I'm guessing it is but want to make sure, don't want my boy hurting himself.

Thanks again for the reply and help.

Z
  • So long as it's 26x?.? you'll be fine, probably 26x1.5 to 26x1.75, if you're looking at smooth tyres
    The same front and back will be ok
  • Zoidy
    terrific, thanks all. :D
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If he is only going to be riding on tarmac then something like the Specialized Nimbus will suffice.
    However, if he also wants to ride a few tracks then maybe the Hemisphere would be better. It's got more grip and is wider, so provides a little more comfort.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avoid the Nimbus, it's not a good tyre.

Schwalbe City Jet is the best budget tyre, 26x1.5" can be had for sub £10 each with some care.

Above that there are a number of options at circa £25 each (new) like the WTB/Maxxis (same tyre under the labels), Panaracer RiBMo or Conti Sport contact.

The Road cruiser linked to above is a touring tyre and rather heavy.

You'll need the right sized tubes as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.