2011 BMW Mountain Bike Enduro

jurofaro
jurofaro Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone help?

I have an offer to buy a new 2011 BMW Mountain Bike Enduro ($4500) for $1500. I just do not know about buying a mtb from a car company.

Some specs:
Fox Talas 32 RL air-spring fork with 140 mm of travel, and Fox RP2 BV shocks with travel of 145 mm
Shimano Deore XT parts, 14.8 kg.

Not much info on the bike online, here is the pic http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-2011-bicycle- ... 5/pictures.

I am not too crazy about BMW making it but the components alone would cost me $1500.

Also this is 2011 model and that is 5 years old gear, any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Never ridden one but that old Talas fork is a piece of crap.
    I did read a review of these once, it was not complimentary at all and suggested BMW should stick to cars.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    When car makers start making bikes it's usually just a branding exercise so I'd be suspicious from the off.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    looks like a peice of poo tbh - wouldnt pay even 500 for it
  • rockmonkeysc
    When car makers start making bikes it's usually just a branding exercise so I'd be suspicious from the off.

The Honda downhill bike was supposed to have been incredibly good and well ahead of it's time. Would have cost a fortune if it ever went in to production. Apparently it was actually reasonably light despite looking like it weighs a ton.
    rn01.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, it weighed a ton, but everything worked so well it made up for it.

Most car manufacturers bikes are fairly good, but once you add a chunk of licensing fess on they are poor value (the Porsche 29er HT is quite tasty if you ignore the price - which is hard!), some are shoot though like the Jeep, lamborghini and latterly Land Rover where they lost control of what they were licensing.

That BMW is not a bad bike (as such) but much better is available, and in 2011 the suspension was more akin to a 2004 bike - no surprise as the entry level model (Manitou forks) was sold from circa 2004/5.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The Rookie wrote:
    No, it weighed a ton, but everything worked so well it made up for it.

As far as I remember, it was a similar weight to downhill mountain bikes of the era. Now days, it would be classed as heavy.

The difference between Honda making mountain bikes and BMW making mountain bikes is Honda went racing. When Honda go racing,they want to win. They will work at something until it is successful
  • rockmonkeysc
    Don't forget that Honda was from the same era as the 46lb DH Team and the Orange 222 which weighed as much as a cow. By those standards it was reasonably light at around 40lb.
    It was built by Honda's racing division, HRC so probably cost an enormous amount in development.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    It does look pretty awesome, shame they never went into production...
  • rockmonkeysc
    Having owned a motorbike by Honda's HRC division (RC30, wish I still had it) I would definitely have a HRC mountain bike.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Having owned a motorbike by Honda's HRC division (RC30, wish I still had it) I would definitely have a HRC mountain bike.

The assistant manager at work had a RC51, it was a beast of a bike and could be heard 5-600 metres away over the background traffic
  • rockmonkeysc

The assistant manager at work had a RC51, it was a beast of a bike and could be heard 5-600 metres away over the background traffic

Must have been a quiet one! We could hear my mate ride his the mile home from the pub. It would set off car alarms.
    I still think the RC30 was the best looking and most perfect superbike ever made. By the standards of its time it was fast, handled brilliantly, had a fantastic engine but could also make an average rider look like a hero. I sold mine for £8k and it would now be worth more than double that. I wish I kept it.