Rapha Pro Team Bib Shorts or Assos T.equipe_s7 Bib Shorts

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy myself some new bib shorts for the summer, but unsure which to buy, I've narrowed it down to 2 which I like, "Assos T.equipe_s7 Bib Shorts" and "Rapha Pro Team Bib Shorts".
Anyone got any opinions on either of these shorts, which are the better of the two on comfort, look and feel for long club rides (80+).

Comments

• cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    It's the old Assos and Rapha debate. Personally I prefer the Assos which to me has a more racers / technology image, the shorts (and the rest of the kit) are great on long rides. Rapha shorts are no doubt also great but the branding isn't something I relate to. You'll get opposing views no doubt - its basically going to be down to what you think looks best. Both will fit the bill as far as comfort and durability.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have the Pro team bibs and Assos S5 Uno, love them both, but if I had to choose one pair I'd go with the Assos.

Also the S5's not being current are available from the Assos factory shop at £97, in comparison to £190 for the Rapha's, that's looks good value, if 100 quid shorts can ever be!

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/s ... black.html
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have a pair of each of these. They are both fantastic. Nothing between them other than styling.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Have both Assos and the Pro team bib shorts. Comfort wise I get on well with both, the only drawback I found is that the Assos went a bit thin on the rear, so now only for turbo duties or when it is cold enough to wear unpadded tights over the top.

But to be fair the Rapha ones have not done as much mileage so who knows they might suffer the same, although they seem to be made of a slightly more 'robust' material.

SV
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i've just got a pair of s7 equipe and they are fantastic. assos are the choice of real cyclists, leave rapha to the johnny come lately strava boys ;-)
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've been wearing Assos for quite a few years and I'm very happy with them. That said, I got a pair of Rapha Pro and jumped on the bike for a century first ride in them and they were great. In my opinion (like one or two others above) you can't go too far wrong with either.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Castelli Body Paint for racers
    Assos for the more serious cyclist
    Rapha for those that don't fit into either of the above
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Rapha use the Cytech pad, not friendly to my arse. Assos for me. Rapha do the classics guarantee, try for a month if you don't like them send them back. I would think if you liked the Rapha Classic bib shorts you would also like the pro team. So try the classic if you like it keep it or send it back and get the Pro Team or the Assos.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    FatTed wrote:
    Rapha use the Cytech pad, not friendly to my ars*. Assos for me. Rapha do the classics guarantee, try for a month if you don't like them send them back. I would think if you liked the Rapha Classic bib shorts you would also like the pro team. So try the classic if you like it keep it or send it back and get the Pro Team or the Assos.

I was thinking about trying this myself. Anyone had experience of this Classic 30 day return?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    FatTed wrote:
    Rapha use the Cytech pad, not friendly to my ars*. Assos for me. Rapha do the classics guarantee, try for a month if you don't like them send them back. I would think if you liked the Rapha Classic bib shorts you would also like the pro team. So try the classic if you like it keep it or send it back and get the Pro Team or the Assos.

The Pro Team fit is nowhere near the Classic fit both in fabric and cut. The pad is also increased in the front on the PT to allow for long periods spent on the drops. The PT bibs provide a lot of compression - and I mean a lot - whereas the Classic bibs are more 'relaxed'. The lycra on the PT bibs feels thicker/stiffer than the Classics but in a good way. The straps on the PT's also make you hunch up more, but like Assos bibs this vanished when you’re on the bike.

I’ve tried a lot of top-end bibs and thought Assos couldn’t be beaten, but PT’s are the ones for me.

Not sure the 30 day thing works for the PT range. You'll need to to drop them an email.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Assos for me every time.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    gsk82 wrote:
    i've just got a pair of s7 equipe and they are fantastic. assos are the choice of real cyclists, leave rapha to the johnny come lately strava boys ;-)
    What like Vasil Kiryienka and Geraint Thomas?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    bomster wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

I was thinking about trying this myself. Anyone had experience of this Classic 30 day return?

I tried the Classic Bib, didnt like it and sent it back no problem. No idea what Rapha do with the returns.
    this is what Rapha customer service wrote:-
    All of our shorts use the same pad (with perforations on the lightweight version), although the position the pad is sewn into the shorts is different, and this will mean there is some difference in comfort between them (e.g. on the Pro Team Short the pad is sewn in further forward, to relieve the extra pressure caused by an aggressive riding position). However the Lightweight Shorts are very similar in cut to the Classic Shorts, so I fear that if you do not find them comfortable – shorts can be quite personal – then you might not get on with them either.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    gsk82 wrote:
    What like Vasil Kiryienka and Geraint Thomas?

Do they buy them or wear them because they are sponsored?

I am sure the Rapha ones are really nice but they are still style over substance, even if the substance is top notch.

Until the Assos man grows a trendy beard and starts posing for naff photos on a bike, I am firmly in the Assos camp.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    I'm a fan of Assos but they have perhaps the worst and cheesiest of all product photography. It's appalling.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Anonymous
    I am a fan of Rapha. Assos is ineed all substance, but sadly completely lacks in the style department.

I am firmly in the 'to look good is already to go fast' camp, and Assos just doesn't do it for me for looks, especially if you are head to toe in it. It just looks horrible.

I have to confess, while wildly out of my budget, I think rapha kit does look great, even as a FRPTKW (full rapha pro team kit w@nker)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I really wanted to like the Rapha shorts, especially when they were selling off the Sky ones for silly money last year, but they just didnt fit me well and I didnt like them - too many fiddly panels and seams. Went back and bought some more of my beloved Castelli Free Aeros although I am not sure that I would buy any more of those now they seem to have made a mess of the design this year...
  • Anonymous
    Free aero race are the dogs balls
  • Body Paint are betterer
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Body Paint are betterer

I loved the fit of the original body paint shorts but was unsure of the straps. Now I have got used to the straps on my winter tights, I tried the body paint 2.0 but they dont fit quite right on me - by the time I have enough room in the thighs, the leg grippers are baggy and the waist is too big. Or maybe my thighs have got bigger since I tried the original variant... Anyhoo, I cant get a good fit from them.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Rapha currently have 30% off the Sky Pro Team bibs, they're £133.