Narrow / Wide with 8 gears

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
So I have an old (2005) Norco Sasquatch as a second bike and the front shifter and cable needs changing. Now I never use the front small cog so thinking of getting rid of the front second ring and bashguard and run a narrow / wide single ring. The websites seem to say they are suitable for 9/10/11spd but doesn't mention 8spd. Is this just because nobody uses them now and they will be fine or are they just not suitable?
Thanks,
8)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The internal chain width is the same, so will work.

But with the stiffer chain (wider side plates) you would probably be fine with just a single speed chainring, my town hack is 1x7 with just a plain ring and causes no issues and 'back in the day' my first derailleur bike was 1x5 using just a plain ring (converted from 3 speed sturmey hub).....argh the days of the Sachs Huret kit! (Yeah that was about 1983).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1983? You're such a baby.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ab20000
    ab20000 Posts: 89
    Tried just losing the small cog and derailleur today and seemed to work fine although didn't really give it much of a proper run so will report back after a better test.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ideally you want a plain ring not one with ramps.

1983 was when I did the conversion CD, you are making an assumption as to my age at the time?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.