strange goings on with chain today

k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
edited May 2015 in Workshop
I was riding earlier when on a descent going around 25-30mph the bike started to make a whirling sound almost as if some thing was caught between the wheel and the frame. Stopped to check and nothing was wrong at all. Set back off quite confused some time later and while freewheeling it started again, I looked down and the.chain was literally being sucked down and towards the wheel. Stopped again and found nothing wrong. It happened a couple more times and only when freewheeling and surprisingly when traveling north!! It was gusting around 20mph+ today and only happened at high speeds. Am I going mad or is it a freak incident with wind and the use of bladed spokes or something like that. Was a horrible noise and watching chain almost getting stuck in wheel was not a nice sight. Anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It sounds like your freehub is likely knackered.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I would also go with a naughty free hub with sticky pawls causing it to not freewheel quite as freely as it should and dragging the chain forwards when you try and freewheel.

What rear wheel do you have?

It may just need servicing.
  • k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    I have mavic ksyrium elite s wheels. Probably done les than 2k miles although I am a 100kg rider. That would make sense as its only when freewheeling. To clarify you both think the cassette is turning when freewheeling causing chain to lose tension?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Exactly - the freewheel is sticking slightly, and dragging the chain forward until the point where the tension in the dérailleur cage pulls it back again.

Someone with experience of factory wheel servicing will be along shortly and advise on what you need to do on that particular freehub.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I had the same issue with the freehub on my Mavic Aksium wheels. I took the cassette off and dribbled a bit of 3 in 1 oil in to the back of the freehub. Solved the problem.