Cervelo R5Ca di2 UPDATED

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    964Cup wrote:
    Nice bike, what are you using it for?

I've heard good things about Praxis chainrings, but those remind me of this Miche Chainset I used to have on a winter bike. Some Rotor No Qs would look much nicer.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-team-evom ... 60558662uk

Thank you.

I use it for club rides - typically 80-100k on a Sunday morning in Herts - for sportives and races (doing the Gran Fondo in Cambridgeshire next month) and for the Alps.

Is a gran fondo a race? I could just imagine how long this bike would last in a cat 4 crash-fest.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    7.5K for a frame???? :shock:

I paid 8 K for a 61 reg Ford Focus with low mileage...
    left the forum March 2023
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389

Judging by OPs username I suspect he's not impressed by a Ford Focus, even for 8k LOL. :D
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    964Cup wrote:
    Nice bike, what are you using it for?
    I use it for club rides - typically 80-100k on a Sunday morning in Herts - for sportives and races (doing the Gran Fondo in Cambridgeshire next month) and for the Alps.

Is a gran fondo a race? I could just imagine how long this bike would last in a cat 4 crash-fest.
    It's a sportive with pretensions - closed roads, opportunity to race with a race licence - I am racing, but being old and slow, I doubt I'll be contesting a frantic bunch sprint at the end. I think the plan is for us middle-aged riders to domestique our slightly more senior clubmates, who might have a chance of a decent placing in their age category.

I have an ancient Spesh Allez on 105 if needed for crits/Hillingdon/Velopark deathmatches. I also presently have the fear after a sizeable off a couple of months ago, so I shan't be sharpening my elbows for a while, I expect.
  • 964cup

Well, sure. I didn't buy this frame new, either (or I'd have an RCA, with internal cabling, and this thread would have been *much* less interesting). It does mean that when I finally get around to replacing the car I'm presently not using with a cheaper car to not use, I will have (ahem) a number of bicycles worth more than my car.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    great looker - but ditch the electronics to look even better and be lighter.. v.v.nice
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    great looker - but ditch the electronics to look even better and be lighter.. v.v.nice

How so?
    The internal battery 9070 is lighter than 9000

MAtt
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    shimano 9070 weighs 2047g .. SRAM Red 1741 g
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • 964cup
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    shimano 9070 weighs 2047g .. SRAM Red 1741 g
    Yes, but this isn't a weight-weenie competition. In any case, a lot of the weight-saving in Red is in the chainset, and you'll notice I'm running a power meter, so that rules out at least the vanilla Red crank. Besides, I don't like double-tap, and I like electronic gears. I've had lighter bikes (my previous R5 VWD was 5.6kg at its lightest); I prefer this one. And frankly, the bike I'm choosing to ride most of the time apart from club stuff weighs 10kg give or take, so a) weight is no impediment to enjoyment, and b) the 4kg saving when I get on this one is quite adequate.
  • Fatini999
    Fatini999 Posts: 66
    The R5ca is my dream bike (I even prefer it to the RCA)... My dream set up would be R5ca with DI2 Dura Ace, Zipp 404 firecrest tubulars and Zipp finishing kit... so this bike is like a slice of heaven for me

Noice
  • 964cup
    So, some time later...

Frame drilled for Di2, cable stops removed, brakes changed to eeBrakes, wheels changed to AX Lightness, various other mods and you get this:

Main_zpszondvygb.jpg

Di2_2_zpsbqlxolfc.jpg

K7_zps0yd9esvn.jpg

eeFront_zps5kbh3hpf.jpg

Frame: Cervelo R5Ca
    Forks: Cervelo R5Ca
    Bars: Enve Compact Road
    Stem: Enve Carbon, 120mm
    Headset: Cane Creek standard
    Bar Tape: Fizik

Front Brake Lever: Dura Ace 9070 di2
    Front Caliper: eeBrake mk3, SwissStop Black Prince pads
    Rear Brake Lever: Dura Ace 9070 di2
    Rear Caliper: eeBrake mk3, SwissStop Black Prince pads

Front Mech: Dura Ace 9070 di2
    Rear Mech: Dura Ace 9070 di2 with UCB SpeedCage

Seat: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
    Seat Post: Enve inline
    Seat Post Clamp: Cervelo R5Ca

Cranks: Rotor Power LT, 175mm
    Chainring(s): Extralite Octaramp 50/34
    Chain: SRAM Red 22
    Cassette: Recon 12-27
    Pedals: Speedplay Titanium
    Bottom Bracket: Cervelo R5Ca BB30

Front Wheel: AX Lightness Ultra 24T
    Tire: Veloflex Record

Back Wheel: AX Lightness Ultra 24T
    Tire: Veloflex Record

Accessories: SW-R600 climber switch, Enve Garmin mount, Token chain-catcher, Arundel Mandible cages

Weight: 5.32kg as shown.
  • Ooh those wheels, weight?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 964cup
    Ooh those wheels, weight?
    785g for the pair. Tubs are 185g each. Cassette is 114g.
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    Looks nice. Weight Weenie light too. Shudder to think of build cost!! :shock:
  • 964cup
    Looks nice. Weight Weenie light too. Shudder to think of build cost!! :shock:
    Yes, so do I. Especially when you think what's come off it as well as what's gone on. It's a disease, I tell you.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    Ooh those wheels, weight?
    785g for the pair. Tubs are 185g each. Cassette is 114g.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Tempting
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Looks much better now. Is it finished.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 964cup
    Define "finished". There's not really any such thing. For next year I'm considering Schmolke & Mcfk finishing kit in place of Enve; a Berk combo post/saddle; possibly a THM M3 with SRM in place of the Rotor Power (although I don't think there's much in it, weight-wise); full-ceramic BB bearings; Lizardskins 1.8 DSP bar tape (although today tells me that DSP gets slippery when wet); Fibulas; Streeters or Tune skewers; general bolt replacement with Ti/alloy/carbon as appropriate; shaving a fraction off the steerer to remove the 5mm spacer; lighter headset dust cover and top-cap; lighter cages. Target something like 4.8/4.9kg without needing the el stupido alloy cassette, which is basically for show - I'll be using an XG1190 in the Alps.

But yes, it's finished for this year.
  • nvlacid
    nvlacid Posts: 15
    Wow looks amazing :D do you have any spares for sale now :P
  • 964cup
    Nvlacid wrote:
    Wow looks amazing :D do you have any spares for sale now :P
    Oh yes. Big clear-out coming soon.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Holy hell thats the tits chapeau sir and those wheels. What an epic build.
  • Sorry for the slight delay, didn't realise you'd been tinkering!
    Looks fantastic .... Well done sir.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    964Cup wrote:
    So, some time later...

Frame drilled for Di2,
    If you'd done that in the first place this thread would be a page shorter. :wink:
    What made you change your mind and get it drilled? Looks better now to my eyes, wheels and chainrings are most obvious improvements in the regard.
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    So nice now....as if it wasn't before...love those wheels!

I agree it's a disease, a very expensive disease :)
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • 964cup
    Veronese68 wrote:
    964Cup wrote:
    So, some time later...

Frame drilled for Di2,
    If you'd done that in the first place this thread would be a page shorter. :wink:
    What made you change your mind and get it drilled? Looks better now to my eyes, wheels and chainrings are most obvious improvements in the regard.

It was all the mockery on here...

No, it needed a repair after some careless handling, and I had CBR do the conversion at the same time. I had rerouted the cables behind the chainrings in the meantime, and found some matt black tape to cover what remained visible, but drilling is tidier. It's a complete nightmare to do, though, as the BB is entirely sealed and is a bonded-in aluminium structure. I had the cable stops shaved for aesthetics, even though it means I'll never do an ultimate weenie build with tuned Red.

I can't decide whether to add some accent colour, or go full "stealth" with the next round of revisions. The Enve kit will be going, and with it the big white logos, so the default position is matt black or naked carbon for everything. But I can't help feeling that stealth is a bit naff; I've seen some very tidy repainted R5Ca frames; otherwise I could at least add some colour with saddle, bar tape and bolts.

Still, it's got to take its place in the queue behind other projects, so there's time to think about it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    964Cup wrote:
    [I can't decide whether to add some accent colour, or go full "stealth" with the next round of revisions. The Enve kit will be going, and with it the big white logos, so the default position is matt black or naked carbon for everything. But I can't help feeling that stealth is a bit naff.
    I must admit I'm not a fan of the full stealth look, but at the same time the large flashes of white looked a bit garish against that frame. It is what it is and the frame is going for the stealth look so I reckon you have to go with it to an extent. I think the tan wall tyres break it up a bit and add the bit of colour it needs.
  • Out of interest, what brake outer system is that you've used?
  • 964cup
    pinches wrote:
    Out of interest, what brake outer system is that you've used?
    Nokon. Fiddly to install, and not the absolute lightest available, but IMO more robust than some of the alternatives while lighter (and less compressible) than standard outers. I've also stuck with standard brake cables rather than Powercordz or Ti cables, on safety grounds. Note that Shimano high-end (coated) cables don't work well with Nokon; just use a good-quality standard stainless cable.