FSA Mega Exo Crank to Dura Ace 9000 BB Incompatible?

adamskicox
adamskicox Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi All,
Ive searched all over the forums and can't get a conclusive answer.
My FSA BB started crunching and noticed that Dura Ace 9000 BB was much cheaper and after a bit of research it looked like it would be compatible with my FSA Carbon Crank.

However, yesterday I tried to install the new BB without success.

The new DA BB bearing cups are deeper than the Mega Exo ones I'm replacing and this in turn doesn't give enough axle. When I tighten the left side crank arm on, it tightens up against the non moving part of the bearing cups and locks up rotation. I can't see anyone else reporting this issue with compatibility.

Am I doing something wrong, or will I have to continue to use the more expensive Mega Exo BB's?

My crank is an FSA Team Issue Carbon Compact:
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/FSA/Co ... inset/1XYR

Thanks for any info.
Adam.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    adamskicox wrote:
    Hi All,
    Ive searched all over the forums and can't get a conclusive answer.
    My FSA BB started crunching and noticed that Dura Ace 9000 BB was much cheaper and after a bit of research it looked like it would be compatible with my FSA Carbon Crank.

However, yesterday I tried to install the new BB without success.

The new DA BB bearing cups are deeper than the Mega Exo ones I'm replacing and this in turn doesn't give enough axle. When I tighten the left side crank arm on, it tightens up against the non moving part of the bearing cups and locks up rotation. I can't see anyone else reporting this issue with compatibility.

Am I doing something wrong, or will I have to continue to use the more expensive Mega Exo BB's?

My crank is an FSA Team Issue Carbon Compact:
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/FSA/Co ... inset/1XYR

Thanks for any info.
    Adam.

You're not doing anything wrong - the cups are incompatible due to the extra width you've identified. Get yourself an FSA BB and it'll work fine. :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D