advice on steerer tube

noodleman
noodleman Posts: 852
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi all. Need some help with the steerer on my argon 18 e116. I decided to cut the steerer down as I'm happy with the height. My other bikes were all the same but this one has a thin alluminium sleeve that sits on top of the steerer bung and finishes just below the top cap. It's now too long to sit inside the steerer. I've cut it down to fit but I'm wondering what it's actually for and if I even need it.
Any ideas?
argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
Rose pro sl disc

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,174
    sounds odd to have something resting on the bung, picture? if it's resting on the bung then logically you'd be able to move the bung in further, unless there's an obstruction inside the steerer

generically a thin spacer is often used to prevent the underside of the cap fouling on the tube/bung (which'd mess up preload adjustment), but that sits on the upper face of the stem, not on the bung
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • noodleman
    Screenshot_2015-05-16-10-46-56_zps1wg8hop9.png it's this metal sleeve. I can't drop the bung down the steerer as for some reason it won tighten in the steerer.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    From that picture it sounds like you have separated your bung.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • noodleman
    It's all back together but I had to cut the sleeve so it didn't stick out above the steerer. I'm just wondering if the sleeve is just for safety reasons, so as not to make it possible for the bung to be pulled up the steerer when tightening the top cap.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • rothers_bikeo
    rothers_bikeo Posts: 225
    Same on my Argon 18 E116 2016. Was due to a build up of excess carbon inside the steerer tube preventing the bung from sliding further down. Sanded it off being careful not to weaken the steerer.