How often to re-glue/tape tubulars?

markshaw77
markshaw77 Posts: 437
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Looking for a quick bit of advice...

I have got a set of carbon tubs (Reynolds Assault) that, for a variety of reasons, I haven't ridden for a couple of years and I now want to get them back on the bike so I can enjoy them again.

The tubs (contis) were orginally taped on with Tufo tape about 4 years ago now and seem to still be reasonably secure on the rim.

That said, I am wondering how long the tub tape would be good for? I don't want to set off on a decent ride only to have one roll (or worse) while I am out.

How often do people typically remove and re-tape/glue their tubs? The tires are still in good condition, so I am reluctant to remove them and risk tearing the basetape/casing unless I have to, but feel as though the safest thing to do might be to remove them (as carefully as I can), clean the rims and re-fit them.

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,174
    mine wear out before any sign of glue failure

it'd depend on conditions, lots of wet rides or baking heat might degrade things quicker, if if i had one that lasted that long i'd be tempted to reglue after a year

with tape i'm really not sure, i suggest deflate the tub then carefylly check to see if you can roll it/lift it anywhere, if you can then time to pull it and redo
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    You know many parts of an aircraft are assembled using adhesives?
    left the forum March 2023
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,174
    yes indeed, but not tub glue, mastik one that's totally dried out gets brittle and goes powdery
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432

126, according to Airfix.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425

126, according to Airfix.

:D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike