My Canyon and Scott

yorkie75
yorkie75 Posts: 62
edited May 2015 in Your road bikes
My speed machines...

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
Full Ultegra groupset with 52/36 chainset, matched to 11/32 cassette...some big hills around here.
Token C28 Carbon Clinchers with Mavic Yksion 25mm tyres
Zipp Service Course 46cm handlebars

20150514_125333_zpsfsbzc2hz.jpg

Scott Foil 20 Frame
Full Ultegra groupset (except 105 52/36 chainset, soon to be replaced with Ultegra, and 11-32 cassette)
Reynolds Assault carbon 40mm wheelset with GP4000S 25mm tyres.
Zipp Service Course 46cm handlebars

20150514_124948_zpsaiskxwlq.jpg

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    2 absolutely lovely bikes.
    The foil is let down by that chainset though

Matt
  • Two fantastic bikes ruined by fugly Ultegra, especially that silver chainset.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    why not ride a compact and 11-28? Seems pointless to me to ride that gearing if its 'very hilly'

agree the silver chainset is horrific
  • yorkie75
    Not much denying the 105 chainset looks crap, but its all I had to hand and haven't got round to replacing it yet.
    By 'very hilly', I live at the edge of the Yorkshire Dales - at the bottom of 'The Stang', where the 2013 national hill climb championship was held (its a bit hillier than Fulham ;-). I like to be able to get up the hills (hence the 32 tooth sprocket), and fly down them (hence the 52 chainring), I spin out of gearing on a Compact chainset...just sold 2 on here as they are no good to me.
    Not sure I'd call Ultegra fugly though, happen to rather like it myself. hardly DuraAce, but then neither is my wage packet...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm not disputing that but if you're spinning out in 50-11 that's pretty damn fast and bordering being faster being more aero and tucked in. I used to ride a double and 11-23 but it was stolen
  • yorkie75
    Aye, there are some 'proper' descents around here, at least 4 of them you can easily pass 50mph, I think 56mph is my record according to Strava, at which point I still spin out in in 52/11..no matter how aero I get im simply not able to get any faster. Im too heavy to be a hill climber - 84kgs, but ive not yet found a hill I cant get up with the 36/32, and ive climbed pretty much all the famous ones on Northern England, and there are a few 1 in 3's round here...but going down the other side is my forte.
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    Which frame do you prefer to ride ?
  • koen.stoer
    koen.stoer Posts: 6
    Aye, there are some 'proper' descents around here, at least 4 of them you can easily pass 50mph, I think 56mph is my record according to Strava, at which point I still spin out in in 52/11..no matter how aero I get im simply not able to get any faster. Im too heavy to be a hill climber - 84kgs, but ive not yet found a hill I cant get up with the 36/32, and ive climbed pretty much all the famous ones on Northern England, and there are a few 1 in 3's round here...but going down the other side is my forte.

Have you ever considered changing to narrower handlebars? 46cm seems very, very wide on such small frames. I ride a XL Wilier Cento1Air with 42cm bars ( 47cm shoulderwidth) to me a 44cm handlebar already feels like spreading my arms and catching the wind...

Agree on the silver chainset btw, change it asap!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Yorkie75 wrote:
    Not much denying the 105 chainset looks crap, but its all I had to hand and haven't got round to replacing it yet.
    By 'very hilly', I live at the edge of the Yorkshire Dales - at the bottom of 'The Stang', where the 2013 national hill climb championship was held (its a bit hillier than Fulham ;-).

Ahhhh, The Stang. We were up around there last week, but we did Frosterley and Bollihope instead. The latter was brutal in the headwinds.