Hydration Pack

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm currently using this High Sierra Hydration pack: http://polar.fitnessmegastore.co.uk/pol ... escription

Although the build quality, size and pockets are good I never feel particularly comfortable with it on. It feels as if its sitting slightly too low down my back, if I try to shorten the strap length to lift it up my back it starts cutting into my armpits. I guess some packs must fit certain body types better than others, I'm 6ft1", 42" chest and 14 stone.

Has anyone else had fitting problems with packs? What pack would you recommend if I decide to replace it?.

Cheers.

Comments

• bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I use an Osprey viper 5 and find it very comfy, light, and it holds enough for me.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I've got an osprey viper 9, holds plenty, has a 3l bladder and fits really well.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Osprey here too. Raptor 22l for long rides and commuting.
    I have a smaller CamelBak too, but it is nowhere near as comfortable.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Osprey Zealot.The best fitting and most stable pack I've had.The rigid back-plate on both the pack and bladder is the key IMO.
    I've had 4 Camelbaks and 2 Dakine packs and although good(and probably better than most budget brands) none come close to the Osprey.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Dakine Nomad. Great hard rear back panel and strap layout, best pocket system for keeping all your stuff organised and easy to find, uses the Hydrapak bladder which is amongst the best.

And I'm 6'4" with a 46" chest.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mtbjunkie08
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I'm considering the Osprey Viper 5, will it be big enough to hold a mini pump, spare tube, sandwiches/snacks, multi tool and lightweight rain jacket?
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Yes absolutely. With spaces to spare. It`s got a couple of handy wee pockets and sections

Wiggles the cheapest at the mo
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • mtbjunkie08
    Yes absolutely. With spaces to spare. It`s got a couple of handy wee pockets and sections

Wiggles the cheapest at the mo

Thanks yeh I've almost pressed the buy button at wiggle, I just cant decide if the problem is me and I just dont get on with hydration packs or whether a different pack would be more comfy.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Like the other posters, I also have an Osprey Viper pack (13L one for me). It's got a chest strap and a belly strap which helps it sit comfortably on yer back without it moving around too much. Since comfort is the issue, maybe see if any outdoor stores near you have some you could go and try?