Pedals, to clip or not to clip

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Ey up.

Being a newbie to MTB (roadie) I simply had a look at what folk were using at the shop I bought the bike from and decided on flats (Shimano saints).

Whilst they seem to be pretty damn fine using my Shimano MT shoes, I dropped of a muckle table top at Glentress and on landing, my foot slipped and my saddle nose went right up my hole, causing eye bleeding pain and much hilarity for all.

So, whats the best clipless pedals ? (M 545 look good).

What do poeple use for general trail use that would allow easy disengaging in a panic, but still allow decent foot retention?
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    M520s are the best VFM. £16 with cleats.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I always use clips. I'm using Shimano xt at the moment but thinking of trying HT pedals.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Shimano saints are very good. The come fitted with spacer washers on the grub screws which provide the grip. If you remove them the screws become longer and give greater grip. Try that before buying clip ins as a suggestion. I use old trainers and they have very stong grip.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    The washers are out already, and as I said, they seem to grip pretty well, but they definitely let go on that long drop. (shoes would be a factor I agree)

I use spds on the cross bike (M520) but imagined that a platform with set in spd would be best for trail riding etc no?
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    edited May 2015
    The only advantage of the platform is that it can (apparently) make it easier to clip in when you are riding along as the pedal doesn't spin as easily.. There is no advantage once you are clipped in - the shoe is often lifted off the platform by the clip or you just don't need to increase your grip on the pedal once you are attached to it - indeed you lose the float from the SPDs which is normally seen as an advantage...
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If I were buying a set of spd's I'd consider these. http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh ... m8020.html
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    bob6397 wrote:
    The only advantage of the platform is that it can (apparently) make it easier to clip in when you are riding along as the pedal doesn't spin as easily.. There is no advantage once you are clipped in - the shoe is often lifted off the platform by the clip or you just don't need to increase your grip on the pedal once you are attached to it - indeed you lose the float from the SPDs which is normally seen as an advantage...
    You can also cycle along unclipped a bit easier, useful if you unclip to dab, corner etc and don't instantly re engage on a technical section.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Get some SPD pedals and try alternating rides between those and your flats.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL