New shoe cleat fitting

Chunky101
Chunky101 Posts: 108
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Bought a set of Shimano R321 shoes coming from a battered set of NorthWaves. My old shoes and cleats were set up following a bike fitting and I've been largely happy with them since.

Trying to set up the new cleats to match the old but the range of cleat adjustment on the new shoes doesn't match.

My old shoes are set so the 1st metatarsal is around 10mm forward of the pedal axle but the new shoes, whilst a perfect fit, simply don't have the range of adjustment to match that position and as a result the 1st metatarsal is level with the pedal axle.

Does anyone know if the cleat holes on the actual shoes are adjustable? If they are it is not immediately obvious.

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Not usually. I have seen a few brands which have sliding holes - a bit like the holes for mtb SPDs - but not most. Depends where the manufacturer thinks the holes should be.

I got new cleats for SPD-L pedals recently and they seem to have changed the shape so they can go back a bit further.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    The little red plastic bits around the cleat screw holes in the sole? they pop out out to allow the adjustment you want, together with the cleat adjustment, i can almost a mid foot cleat position.
    Weird post as i am also coming from an old battered pair of NW to the lastest Shimano shoes, but the R261, the wrap around closure of the 321 and the 177 didnt suit. :)
  • Chunky101
    Chunky101 Posts: 108
    Since discovered the shoe bolt holes were adjustable. Seem to be dialled in like my old shoes now :)