TIA
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Moving from 50/34t to 52/36t.
    How many extra chain links?

TIA

Probably none if your existing chain is the correct length and you are keeping the same max sprocket size at the rear

Plug your numbers into this if you want confirmation

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... hcalc.html
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Thanks arlowood
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Hi CP. I agree you will probably be fine, theoretically you will need (all things being equal) half a chain link extra (its 2 teeth more but the chain only goes round half the chain ring so extra length is 1 tooths worth). Depends how big your largest sprocket is and how the chain length was setup originally. So if the chain is already marginal on length, you might need 1 full link extra. Try it and see.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    drlodge wrote:
    Hi CP. I agree you will probably be fine, theoretically you will need (all things being equal) half a chain link extra (its 2 teeth more but the chain only goes round half the chain ring so extra length is 1 tooths worth). Depends how big your largest sprocket is and how the chain length was setup originally. So if the chain is already marginal on length, you might need 1 full link extra. Try it and see.

Cheers Doc. I have just fitted new chains so hoping it will be fine. Currently chains are set for 11-28 but I use 11-23 locally so I know that will be okay. It's when I get down your neck of the woods... According to the calculator I will be 1/4 tooth out but as I won't be riding 52/28 then I should be okay?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    drlodge wrote:

Cheers Doc. I have just fitted new chains so hoping it will be fine. Currently chains are set for 11-28 but I use 11-23 locally so I know that will be okay. It's when I get down your neck of the woods... According to the calculator I will be 1/4 tooth out but as I won't be riding 52/28 then I should be okay?

Exactly. If the chain's going to run out of length it'll be on 52/28 so never using that gear means you'll be fine. But safety first, just check once you've fitted it to be doubly sure.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava