Shimano chainset with Campagnolo group

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hello any views on this subject appreciated-
I have got a 2nd hand 105 5600 10 spd compact chainset to replace my 10 speed square taper standard Campagnolo chainset to get slightly lower raios for the local hills. I have fitted all parts and adjusted the front mech etc. The rear shifting as expected works and is unchanged. During setting up when I shift down the cassette while in the large chainring the chain skips off the large chainring and onto the inner chainring when in the 2nd to and largest sprocket. I know you shouldn't ride 'big ring/big sprocket combo's however on my older set up I could and when tuning the gears up it was never an issue.
Is this the dreaded not recommended Campag/Shimano x compatibility or is the set up wrong, has the chainline changed causing this?

My old set up was 10 speed campag 39/52 square taper 111mm axle 13/29 cassette, new version veloce front/rear short cage mechs, the new set up is the same less for the 105 5600 compact ext BB with 36/51 rings.
I did shorten the chain slightly for the smaller 36t ring.

thanks
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Small differences in teeth shape and/or chainline might cause this, if teeth are getting worn out they're more forgiving.
    Never ride big/big or big-2end big.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I didnt consider the newness of the chainrings making a difference- they are brand new. I will ride the bike on the weekend and see if it all beds in
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Somethings not right withe the chainrings. A bent tooth or something similar will cause this. The problem you describe should not happen.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.