Upgrade Advice

Tavish85
Tavish85 Posts: 36
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
I have had my RockRider 8.1 for about a year now and was wondering if it is worth upgrading anything on it??

This is my first MTB so I'm not to sure as to what should be done first upgrade wise.

The only things I have done so far is change to pedals to Wellgo MG1 flats and got Mudhuggers for the winter period (which I know have had mixed reviews on here but I found them very good). I have also just purchased some Schwalbe City Jets as I am going to start using my bike for commuting to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it only going to be used for commuting? If so get some Mosso rigid forks on it, you'll drop over 1Kg and improve the aero by a chunk.

City jets are a bit wooden feeling, so if it's doing a lot of miles I'd get better.

Adjust the gearing for the commute, probably can go 1x easily enough, that's what I run on my commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tavish85
    Tavish85 Posts: 36
    The Rookie wrote:
    Is it only going to be used for commuting? If so get some Mosso rigid forks on it, you'll drop over 1Kg and improve the aero by a chunk.

City jets are a bit wooden feeling, so if it's doing a lot of miles I'd get better.

Adjust the gearing for the commute, probably can go 1x easily enough, that's what I run on my commuter.

Not only going to be used for commuting as I do quite a few trails around the Nottinghamshire area as well.

I will be doing around 20-30 miles a day commuting, so would you recommend different tyres for that distance?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would recommend a road bike
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, for that distance either a road bike or a properly road biased Hybrid.

Keep the MTB as an MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Definitely something more road based for that distance, I ride to work on my mtb but it's only 7.5mile each way so I've not bothered getting a road bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I commute 20 miles a day on my road bike. The one time I used my mountain bike for a day it took me 10 minutes longer and felt like riding through treacle.
    Get a road bike for the commute and keep the mountain bike for fun.