Hydraulic rim brake and hydraulic lever compatibility

Crimson
Crimson Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi,
this is my first post in bike radar and i have some questions about hydraulic brakes.
I want to use the sram red hydraulic rim brake with a bullhorn so i would like to use a brake fit for TT bikes like the Magura Rt8 brake lever... my question is: Can you use any hydraulic brake with any hydralic lever? If so does that mean i have to be super expert on hydraulics?
Thank you for your time! :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    In a word no.

There are many issues the first being the incompatibility of the two main they'd of brake fluid.

Then you have the piston sizes.

I am sure that SRAM/Avid with have a suitable lever assy. IE your best bet is to keep with the same brand as you are more likely to find a match.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Crimson
    Crimson Posts: 3
    Hmm i was looking at the brake levers that are compatible acording to sram it dint say anything about avid but that could work too for me if it is compatible that is.... the idea is that the cable will run though the neck mostly for the sake of beauty and with the sram red hydraulic brake seems to be easy to do that because of its shape the hose is located lower than the bolt that holds it on the frame. If you have any other advice about what brake i should use im all ears. I think of hydraulic because of the tight turns the cable i was told is gong to have problems with the friction...
    so any ideas?