Carbon Road Bike suitable for Commuting???

dzabhi
dzabhi Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi
I'm currently looking to buy a new road bike and want to make the leap to carbon. I currently have an aluminium frame that I've put a lightweight pannier rack on so I can use for commuting as well as my leisurely rides.

I was going to buy a new carbon road bike and keep my existing bike for commuting/winter riding only but I thought this may be a waste of money??

So can anyone recommend a carbon road bike that I can attach a pannier rack to (not clamped to the seat post or a beam rack)? Basically a carbon all rounder (if such a thing exists)..
I prefer to put any luggage (lightweight) on the bike as opposed to carrying it in a rucksack due to me having a bad back.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Danny

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    No direct experience, but look for CF "Audax" bikes - these will definitely have rack mounts, clearance for 'gurds etc. Check out the Orbea Avant for a start.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Carbon is fine for commuting, but it wouldn't be the frame so much that is the issue.
    Generally (but not always) when people go carbon, they tend to also upgrade group set and then wheels.
    Now depending on your riding depends on whether or not you need another bike. Using me as the example, I commute to work on a fairly cheap steel framed bike, cheap group set and cheap wheels. Of an evening and at weekends I ride my Carbon "nicer" bike.
    As I commute on a different bike, it allows me to have two different set ups, the commuter has mudguards, nice big chunky tyres run at a low pressure and the cockpit is raised so I'm sitting in a more upright position than what I do on my "faster bike". As I have a fair amount of equipment with me for commuting I'm not worried about speed or aero and go for maximum comfort, I also have a nice easy cassette on it. My nicer bike is used for fast club rides, the set up is slammed stem and an 11-23 cassette, great for fast rides but not for carrying an extra 20 odd kgs.
    My commuter is about 9 months old, it does get left outside from time to time so gets exposed to the elements. Riding in all weather also means that the components will reach their end of life date sooner, I've replaced cassette, chain and cables since the end of the winter. Having cheap components means that cost me very little money.
    So for me, unless you need to sell your bike for financial or space reasons, I would get another one (N+1).
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I agree with Woody
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tifosi ck2 will fit the bill but does it have to be carbon. I would also get a cheap alloy frame with mud guard mounts and stick cheaper wheels, robust tyres and shimano claris or sora on it.

Even an old 80/90s mtb can be turned into a decent commutor for not alot of cash.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Wheelinthai
    Wheelinthai Posts: 12
    Tifosi ck2 will fit the bill but does it have to be carbon. I would also get a cheap alloy frame with mud guard mounts and stick cheaper wheels, robust tyres and shimano claris or sora on it.

Even an old 80/90s mtb can be turned into a decent commutor for not alot of cash.
    Have a look at GT Grade alloy 105. I've this bike and also the carbon Ultegra. The Alloy is an adequate road bike that can fustrate a pukka road bike, if the rider is not very strong, yet can accommodate rear rack mount. The carbon fork does dampen out jolts, and 28c tyres make the ride plush. It's so good, I splurged on a new Grade carbon Ultegra.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-gt-grade-alloy-105-15-48994/
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Any carbon road bike will be good for commuting.
    Why wouldn't it?