Allen Keys

2»

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    jermas wrote:
    Do I understand correctly that the intention as you see it, is to use SS allen keys so that non-SS bolts will not rust?
    If you want to be sure not to get corrosion on the bolts, they need to be stainless bolts. Stainless steel allen keys could damage a bolt head just like plain steel ones, so I don't see how SS allen keys assure you won't get rust on coated bolts. I stand to be corrected but this sounds fishy to me.

No. Plain steel allen keys on stainless bolt heads can cause the bolt head to rust. It's a minor concern though, just cosmetic.
    Okay, now I see what they're saying.
    Plain steel tools DO cause bolts to rust. They can however leave behind particles of rust or which may rust adhered to the surface. I read your original comment as saying the SS bolts themselves would be caused to rust due to wear caused by contact with plain steel tools. This is not the case, nor does the link say that it is. this would only happen if the bolts were not SS but rather coated in a non-corrosive outer layer which could be damaged by the tools.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Ended up buying this as I needed a handy wee set like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I8MYMT2/r ... 71_TE_item

Will probably pick up the Wera allen key set in due course, spending is over for this month....
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Wera
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer