Best computer / garmin or other for navigation

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a Garmin Edge 500 which is great however i would like to use it for making up routes, however i made a route today and tried to follow it and i just hated it not sure where i was going at all.

So the garmin 1000 looks a good option does this give more of a sat nav look about it or not?

or any other suggestions would prefer to stick with garmin as all my data i on garmin connect

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    For sat nav style navigation you would need a Garmin 800/810/1000. The 800 is the oldest model of the three. Have a look at each one and compare price and features. Free maps based on Openstreetmap data are available on the internet for Garmin units. The 1000 comes with bundled maps based on OSM data.

Other mapping GPS units are the Mio 5xx series and the more expensive Bryton units.
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    A subject close to my heart, I've been thinking of upgrading my Garmin200 to a Garmin Edge Touring Plus.
    The touring Plus has European maps pre loaded and barometric altitude tracking. £166 incl postage herehttp://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/garmin-edge-touring-plus-gps-bike-computer/aid:787270.
    I'm not bothered about the heart rate thing but like the altitude accuracy and gradient display.
    Sorry to hijack the thread but maybe we're after the same type of unit.

Any suggestions as to why the higher spec Garmins are worth the extra outlay?
  • timboellis
    timboellis Posts: 223
    I was looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Edge-100 ... e+810+maps

I just want one where you can point it somewhere and it will take you there and load maps onto it.

Sent you a message also blackpoolkev
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    A subject close to my heart, I've been thinking of upgrading my Garmin200 to a Garmin Edge Touring Plus.
    The touring Plus has European maps pre loaded and barometric altitude tracking. £166 incl postage herehttp://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/garmin-edge-touring-plus-gps-bike-computer/aid:787270.
    I'm not bothered about the heart rate thing but like the altitude accuracy and gradient display.

That's what I bought this time last year. I basically wanted to record my rides and have sat nav type guidance to follow a route. I didn't need the training functions of the more expensive garmins, and liked the fact it came with decent maps pre-loaded, and that they could be updated FOC in future. I do use the HR feature, but it's more out of curiosity than for training in HR zones. The round trip routing is also quite useful; just tell it you want to do say 40 miles and it will suggest 3 circular routes. You can choose which after looking at their maps and elevation profiles. It's taken me down loads of roads I'd never cycled before despite their proximity to home.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

They are worth the higher price if you want to use ANT+ cadence sensors/power meters. If you don't care about that and never foresee that you would want to use such items then they aren't worth it.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    The Touring is more basic than the other 800 units, but there's not much in it. The Touring doesn't have a Powermeter option, or a speed/cadence sensor (although it displays GPS based speed). If all you want to do is load up maps and get going, then it will suit your needs, and will give the same navigational prompts as the other models.

The extra charges for different bundles are usually related to the inclusion of peripherals (like a HR strap), or types of mapping provided. I wouldn't bother paying for additional mapping, the OSM maps are free, easily installed and are very good.

I'm on my 3rd 800/810 in two years, so based on my own experience, they aren't the most reliable pieces of kit. I got the first unit from Halfords, who are not usually on my list of bike related retailers,- but when each unit developed a fault I've walked into my local store and they exchanged it instantly, without even a hint of a quibble. Maybe worth bearing in mind if you're thinking of an online purchase.

Check out dcrainmaker for a more detailed comparison:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/garm ... puter.html