Merlin Malt 2

jonsdesigner
jonsdesigner Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I have a merlin Malt 2 bike which I think dates from 1992. I am wanting to put suspension on the front as it currently has Scott carbon fibre forks on it, but I also have the chance to change the frame to a Saracen Team Zen alu frame. The spec on the bike is a mix of XT and Deore so i will be keeping all that. Trouble is I'm not sure what the malt frame is made from. I would have thought it would be cromoly at that time.

Jon

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Alu frames were increasingly common in 1992 - I got a Gary Fisher AL1, my mates were on a Rocky Mountain Experience & Pace RC100 - all alu. Not sure about Merlin. Can't you tell? Usually skinny tubes = steel....
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • No this has big fat tubes [url][/url]2015-05-13%2003.10.24%201_zpsjspnd9ug.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's aluminium.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A magnet is an easy way to tell, but that is aluminium.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, it looks like alu. Frame looks alright to me - nice colour!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.