new AM / Enduro wheel set

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
after many years of abuse my old trusty set of stans flows on hope pro 2's have pretty much given up the ghost. hubs are fine but the rims are another story.

so after a new wheelset. happy to buy complete or get built up and might consider using my existing hubs as the pro 2's have been bomb proof.

current set comes in around 1850 gr iirc so would like something lighter for all mountain use, occasional uplift day and half a dozen enduro races a year. run tubeless so they need to be easy to set up and i ride in the peak district most of the time so my wheel often get a fair battering on rock and me being 15 stone of not the most delicate rider.

budget around £500

any ideas? been looking at the DT Swiss EX 1501 - anyone got any experience (and know what the difference is between these and the EX 1750?)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Light Bicycle in your choice of width on DT350.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    H + Son Todestreib rims on your existing hubs. Fantastic rim, wide, bombproof, not heavy, tubeless compatible etc.etc.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    H + Son Todestreib rims on your existing hubs. Fantastic rim, wide, bombproof, not heavy, tubeless compatible etc.etc.

not heavy - they're 600 gram a rim according to their website. on my current hubs it would add half a pound in weight!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Superstar Carbon AM. Brilliant!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If I had a budget of £500 for wheels, the last thing I would want is Superstar hubs. They aren't particularly good, I would be wanting DT Swiss hubs for that money. Maybe Hope with carbon rims.
  • karroy
    karroy Posts: 1
    Boostbicycle MTB rims, there is 27,35,40mm width. Lightweight, durable, hookless, easy to install.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd stick with Light Bicycle. Never heard of "Boost Bicycle", although they seem to be selling virtually the same products as LB and all the others.