visors - any real point?

2»

Comments

• Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I was wondering the same, they are certified to the same CE 1078 but the road one is thinner foam, however it has the HES thing, not sure if it makes a difference.

Trying to find somewhere I can try a kali makara xc, as they seem to be a lot more pro-active in developing mtb specific protection (multi density foam etc). Not in a super rush to purchase, but strained my leg so can't do much apart from overthink potential purchases.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Are road helmets designed to protect in the same way as mtb helmets? Road accidents rarely involve pointy rocks and mtb accidents rarely involve high speed sliding along tarmac.

Insofar as they've all passed exactly the same tests yes. Road/XC helmets tend to focus on light weight and decent ventilation, if you compare something like an Endur-o-matic or Xen then those undoubtedly offer more protection, but at the expense of weight and ventilation.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Main differences I've seen between the two is my MTB helmet drops down further down the back id my head and the road ones a lot lighter. In terms of protection they both meet the same requirements. Oh an the road ones got a lot more ventilation.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    One would hope that MTB helmets are designed to take pointy, irregular shaped impacts whereas road lids can trade some of that for lightness.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Those tests are minimum standards, not maximum. The mtb helmets could be stronger.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    These days I just use my road helmet whenever I go out on the mtb, it feels more comfortable, FWIW it covers about as much at the back as my 661 recon. Rather not test exactly how strong they both are though...

I don't enjoy riding with a peak on the road either, makes seeing stuff challenging when on the drops for me too.