Best lube for rear derailleur...

d_o_g
d_o_g Posts: 286
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hello, my rear mech is stiff, and whilst I am OK with stripping and lubing the springs, I'm wondering on people's advice on lubing the pins on the parallelogram.

I'm tempted to just spray it all over with GT85, but would rather use something which will actually be effective. What have other people used, and to what success. Bike is used in all weathers.

Thanks!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    More likely to be the cable rather than the mech itself. The pins don't really need lube as such - they are a press-fit and there is nowhere for the lube to go.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've always used a drop of 3-in-1 oil on the pivot points of the mechs. No idea if it does any good, but I haven't had one stiffen or seize up on me. The kids' bikes on the other hand....

It makes me feel that I'm doing something useful, and wiping off the excess oil cleans up the whole mech and imparts a protective film.

The pins can't be a push fit in both components or they wouldn't pivot, so there must be somewhere for the oil to go.

The bushings in the jockey wheels get dismantled and greased annually too.
  • DCDB
    DCDB Posts: 27
    +1 for 3 in 1 oil on all the gear pivots for front and rear mechs.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I used to lube the pivots on my mechs. Then I stopped doing it a couple of years ago and it's made no difference at all. They still work just fine.