BMC GF01 105 Disc or Custom All City Mr Pink

tbird907
tbird907 Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
So I'm torn between buying a stock BMC Grand Fondo 105 disc or building up an All CIty Mr Pink. The Mr Pink can come with HED Belgiums laced to Chris King r45 Hubs, Chris King Headset & Bottom Bracket, Thomson stem and seatpost, 3T Ergonova Carbon Bars, Fizik Saddle, 105 Groupset, and an Enve Carbon Fork. For a little more money,I'd get the BMC GF01 with 105 components and standard parts(shimano rims & hubs) bmc stem,seatpost, handlebars. The BMC GF01 is definitely a sweet ride and bike of the year, here at bike radar. But the Mr Pink is an amazing custom build for a little less money. Which would you decide?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Mr Pink for me, thank you....
    left the forum March 2023
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Mr Pink for me too.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,703
    Custom build with nice components or off the shelf with run of the mill components? Seems like a no brainer, but the BMC has hydraulic discs, and I'm a huge fan of discs. Depends on your riding, but I think Mr Pink gets my vote.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    tbird907 wrote:
    So I'm torn between buying a stock BMC Grand Fondo 105 disc or building up an All CIty Mr Pink. The Mr Pink can come with HED Belgiums laced to Chris King r45 Hubs, Chris King Headset & Bottom Bracket, Thomson stem and seatpost, 3T Ergonova Carbon Bars, Fizik Saddle, 105 Groupset, and an Enve Carbon Fork.

Out of interest is this from the UK? Would like some more info on this if possible mate. cheers.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    The BMC, a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Why would you want a heavy steel bike when you can have a top end carbon frame with hydraulic discs?
  • veronese68
    robbo2011 wrote:
    The BMC, a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Why would you want a heavy steel bike when you can have a top end carbon frame with hydraulic discs?
    Isn't it aluminium in 105 spec?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    No, the aluminium model is the GF02. the GF01 disc uses the same carbon frame from Dura ace down to the 105 spec.
  • veronese68
    robbo2011 wrote:
    No, the aluminium model is the GF02. the GF01 disc uses the same carbon frame from Dura ace down to the 105 spec.
    Apologies, didn't read it properly.
    They are very different bikes, I'd happily have both.