Hardtail around £1,200

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a new hardtail costing around £1,200 (can go a little higher but not too much). Now I've not bought a new bike for a good while (Cube Ltd Race 2012) which came in the only option of 26" wheels so I've not tried anything with 27.5 or 29's.

I'm after a bike for general forest trail riding and the odd trip to Wales/the lakes. The other limiting factor for me is size as I'm 6' 4" so really limited to XL size only. I'm not adverse to a bit of effort on the hills to something that is more fun on the downhill bits.

So I was initially thinking of checking out a Whyte 901 but everywhere has sold out of XL so unless I find one I can try this is probably out of the running.

Wondering if anybody has any other suggestions? One thing I have considered is a Transition TranAm steel frame and building something up but this will come in above budget. Never ridden a steel frame since my old BMX so interested to get views on this.

Thanks,

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I wouldn't rule a bike out just because it's not an XL, I'm roughly the same size (I was the same size but think I've shrunk a couple of cm due to my job) and I find my Large Giant Trance a great fit. Try a few Large bikes you might just be surprised.

As for a suggestion, take a look at the bird zero, gets rave reviews and Ben at bird bikes is a top bloke to deal with.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Bird Zero 2. Great bike with a customisable spec.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    widge34 wrote:

This ^^^
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've bought one of these in XL but I'm 6ft 6 and its a great bike and spec for the money.

https://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3645
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you go second hand you can get alot more for your money. Barely used two year old bikes are normally around half their original retail price.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I ride the Lakes and am absolutely over the moon with my Whyte 905 (same frame as 901 or 909 I think) - it's light but has the geometry to cope with the steep / rocky stuff. See the reviews (dating back years - like me) to confirm this; ideal for the lakes I'd say. That said the Bird looks good too but I haven't ridden it. Can't comment on sizing because I am a sensible height but the Whytes have quite long top tubes - I love my medium size 905 (at 5'9'') but also think a small would have been fine.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    widge34 wrote:

This ^^^
    +2 for the Zero.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    There are some decent spec Radon HT bikes out there.
    A lot of value for your money.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    I fancied a whyte, but ended up buying a ghost kato pro 6 as the frame size fitted me better. IMO the bike fit is the most important thing.
    KATO_PRO_6_white-black_SV_MG_9232.png
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ghos ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • Sharky999
    Sharky999 Posts: 103
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    There are some decent spec Radon HT bikes out there.
    A lot of value for your money.

Ha just posted this
    http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes/moun ... ce-275-80/
  • ab20000
    Slightly confused by the sizing on the Canyon website as it suggests I get a large which given I'm 6' 4" was expecting it to be XL so thinking maybe best option is to buy from a LBS. If I do direct buy I'm thinking of going for XL and if it is a touch big getting a shorter stem.

Is anybody else similar height and tried a Canyon? My Cube was an XL and was spot on.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How about a custom build based on a Transition Transfer Am or Nukeproof Scout frame?
    A bit of shopping around will get it in budget
  • ab20000
    How about a custom build based on a Transition Transfer Am or Nukeproof Scout frame?
    A bit of shopping around will get it in budget

Yeah this is certainly an option, might have to enlist peoples help on here to spec the parts and would try and source some used parts.

Sorted my Norco Sasquatch (2005) out today as a temp bike so in no rush plus the extra weight of it will be a good workout until I get the new one.