Lightweight jersey for summer

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new summer jersey after the OH put my white Assos jersey in a coloured wash - it is now a light shade of pink. Her reasoning was that it had some black detailing on it

I run pretty warm so i need something lightweight.

I appreciate i could always just get another Assos jersey but im sure there is a lesser known brand that is just as good for half the price

Tempted with something from Torm but as it seems to be made of wool im thinking it might end up being a bit warm and not as light as im after

Budget ideally £50 -£60
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• You have 2 bikes but one jersey?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Just got a Rapha lightweight jersey for 100 Euros, £65ish, with a free pair of armwarmers thrown in. Not too bad.

Nice tight fit, but it is (in white with light blue detail) a tad transparent!
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I've got the Rapha Lightweight Jersey, the white jersey with the blue band is the "super lightweight" jersey.
    My Lightweight Jersey is White with a Grey Band, last years version. The white lightweight is very see through when you get a sweat on, but it does help keep you cool, more so than the sportswool jerseys.
    Current lightweight version is available in red and grey so likely to be less transparent. Will be getting myself the red one for summer riding.
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
    If you're worried about wool in summer then don't. I run really hot and spent all last summer in soortwool. Torm are excellent as are Shutt and of course Rapha. My only advice would be if your worried; buy a full length zip version for extra ventilation.
  • bernithebiker
    w00dster wrote:
    I've got the Rapha Lightweight Jersey, the white jersey with the blue band is the "super lightweight" jersey.
    My Lightweight Jersey is White with a Grey Band, last years version. The white lightweight is very see through when you get a sweat on, but it does help keep you cool, more so than the sportswool jerseys.
    Current lightweight version is available in red and grey so likely to be less transparent. Will be getting myself the red one for summer riding.

Yes, you're right, mine is the Super Lightweight.

Just been out for a 1.5 hour ride in it, nice and warm and sunny 21'C. Nice and comfy, but just doesn't do it for me, the fit isn't as good as my other race tops. It's a small. If anyone wants it, yours for £70.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I find the Rapha pro team jersey is a good fit and light enough weight. Different style to the Lightweight Jersey, which I also like, not as close fitting though.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    w00dster wrote:

Just been out for a 1.5 hour ride in it, nice and warm and sunny 21'C. Nice and comfy, but just doesn't do it for me, the fit isn't as good as my other race tops. It's a small. If anyone wants it, yours for £70.
    nice profit there...
  • bernithebiker
    spasypaddy wrote:
    w00dster wrote:

nice profit there...

Please share your calculations with me, as I can't see any profit...?
  • spasypaddy
    Just got a Rapha lightweight jersey for 100 Euros, £65ish, with a free pair of armwarmers thrown in. Not too bad.

Nice tight fit, but it is (in white with light blue detail) a tad transparent!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    plus they were on ebay for £35 recently.
  • bernithebiker
    OK, so let's see shall we?

100 Euros at a half decent bank rate (1.36) = £73.50

There was also 10 Euros postage (can post up a copy of invoice if really necessary) = £7.35

So that's £80.85 already. Then it ain't gonna fly to the buyer by itself so add another 5 to £7 postage (yes it's expensive these days whether from France or UK).

So that's at least £85.

And yes, a pair of armwarmers were thrown in, but I didn't do the deal for that - I already have a Rapha and a Castelli pair.

So maybe the internet keyboard justice warriors might like to save judgement until they're in possession of all the facts? I retired at 34, I really don't need to try and make a few quid off someone on here.

To help you sleep at night how about £85 with the armwarmers? Or is that unfair too?
  • spasypaddy
    im ok thanks i got one for £36 on ebay last week.
  • Geo555
    Geo555 Posts: 96
  • spasypaddy wrote:

That wasn't in the same colourway and was in very limited quantities and sizes.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bernithebiker
    spasypaddy wrote:

You want a medal?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've got rapha pro team, lightweight and super lightweight. To be honest now I'm just buying the pro team, there isn't a significant difference in weight or ventilation plus the pro team is UV rated (one less thing to faff about) and pretty streamlined. I think it's a good, cover all bases Jersey.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Stueys wrote:
    I've got rapha pro team, lightweight and super lightweight. To be honest now I'm just buying the pro team, there isn't a significant difference in weight or ventilation plus the pro team is UV rated (one less thing to faff about) and pretty streamlined. I think it's a good, cover all bases Jersey.

I agree, just depends on fit which one you prefer.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:

You want a medal?
    yes please
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Two more to consider:

dhb Goldline – IMO as good as the PT jersey (which I own). Only let down by the ‘normal’ length sleeves because I like the longer look these days (tart) but I’ll happily still wear it on a hot day.
    Café du Cycliste Lucienne – A good combination of merino mix, lightweight, race cut and with the longer sleeves. It did the job well during a particularly hot (read ‘rare’) day climbing in the Cairngorms over the summer when the temps hit the high 20’s. It then did the job of not making me cold on the descents too.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Stueys wrote:
    the pro team is UV rated (one less thing to faff about)

This is a good point - I was a bit shocked last summer to realise I had really sharp bib strap lines over my shoulders and back last summer - my Assos Mille jersey obviously doesn't provide much sun protection.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Don't discount Sportwool jerseys for summer use.

I've ridden in 26 degrees up Le Petit St Bernard in a Torm s/s jersey and it felt fine, probably no worse/better than a man made fabric.

I'll be taking Torm jerseys to Tenerife in September.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301

So maybe the internet keyboard justice warriors might like to save judgement until they're in possession of all the facts? I retired at 34, I really don't need to try and make a few quid off someone on here.

To help you sleep at night how about £85 with the armwarmers? Or is that unfair too?

I think Bernithebiker wins by a knockout!