Help me decide which cheap hardtail!

Roberto di Velo
Roberto di Velo Posts: 127
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
As the title says, I'm trying to make up my mind which hardtail to get. I'm predominantly a roadie, but like to have something to tackle the local bridleways and may even venture across to Cannock on occasion. But I also have lots of bikes in the sheds, so don't won't to upset the Mrs with something too expensive!

Having been given some mixed advice, I've got it down to a couple:

Calibre two.two:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two ... ke-p275612

Radon ZR Tean 27.5 7.0:
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rado ... ountry=190

Calibre is the cheap as chips option, whereas the Radon is a bit lighter, has 650 wheels and the better Recon forks. What do people reckon?

(apologies for the unoriginal thread!)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rather different price points for one choice and there are lots of options in between the 2.

The Calibre will do what you want without problem, the Radon will do it better, between the two you have various Carrera, Voodoo and Rockrider options as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Rather different price points for one choice and there are lots of options in between the 2.

The Calibre will do what you want without problem, the Radon will do it better, between the two you have various Carrera, Voodoo and Rockrider options as well.
    Thanks for the response, and yeah appreciate they are a bit different!

I had one mate who said I shouldn't get a bike without 120mm forks, suggesting the more expensive Calibre which is £500. Another recommended 27.5 wheels and getting something a bit lighter with better quality forks, hence the Radon. Alternatively, I didn't know whether to get the cheapest decent bike and ignore them both!

Had checked out the other makes you suggested, but it seemed to me, that these were the best bet. I liked the look of the Radon, but I wasn't sure if I was spending quite a lot more money for not much more benefit?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What you should have on the bike very much depends on you and your riding, I've never had a bike with more than 100mm forks, I ride mostly local singletrack and Cannock, its also on those so out of date as to be rubbish 26" wheels. I'd chose the 'overall' bike (components and geometry) ahead of one particular number.

that said the Radon is a good well specced bike and can't be beaten at that price point, so you may as well take advantage of the 'Greek effect' on the value of the Euro!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.