Winter frame deals

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
So, it's coming up to summer.

Perfect time to shop for a winter frame.

Any good bargains out there? Am after something non-ferrous (already have a steelie) - like look of Kinesis T2 and Tifosi CK7 (I think) but can't find any bargains!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• It's 7 months until winter.....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    SecretSam wrote:
    So, it's coming up to summer.

Perfect time to shop for a winter frame.

Any good bargains out there? Am after something non-ferrous (already have a steelie) - like look of Kinesis T2 and Tifosi CK7 (I think) but can't find any bargains!

How about an Alu Genesis frame. Paul Milnes are selling of the Volant frame for £250. Alu steerer with carbon forks and comes with mudguard eyelets front and rear. Takes long drop brakes so will accommodate full mudguards and some of the larger tyre sizes I reckon. Standard BSA English BB - so that's a bonus - no faffing with BB30 etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-Volan ... 6b3fe2744d

Have 50, 54 and 56 sizes available if that's any use.

I built up a Volant frameset from Paul Milnes as a flat bar bike for my grandson. Nice frame and well finished.

15486596682_5d7812f652_b.jpg
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
    Ribble winter trainer?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I'd be looking at these:
    image.jpg1_zps0v6jjwml.jpg
    £619 on Wiggle

I do rate the CK7 though!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • secretsam
    It's 7 months until winter.....

So it's the perfect time to buy. Ditto long sleeved jerseys, leggings, etc etc

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Apart from Ribble do many places actually sell frames as "winter frames". It's not as though they have extra thick paint or built in hand warmer etc etc.
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I'd be looking at these:
    image.jpg1_zps0v6jjwml.jpg
    £619 on Wiggle

I do rate the CK7 though!
    I've got one of these, nicely finished frame, built up into rather a smart looking bike, though I say so myself. Assuming that by winter bike you mean one that you can fit sensible mudguards on then there is plenty of clearance on this frame.
  • secretsam
    Assuming that by winter bike you mean one that you can fit sensible mudguards on then there is plenty of clearance on this frame.

Basically, yes - minimum 25mm tyres with 'guards

Will be used throughout the year despite the name

• 70\ʹspenguin
    At this time of year you're looking at flea bay. For clothing, I find the best time to buy retail is late summer/ early August as this is when the big sales start and new lines come in.

If you're going to use something all year round then why get a winter bike? Why not something that suits all weathers. The T2 can be built up nicely and so can the s4, albeit its twice the price.

Alternately, why not buy some nice summer wheels instead? Some zondas for £215 from Germany?
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    I just bought a Kinesis 4S frameset from Upgrade bikes Outlet shop :D

Smallest chip on the chainstay (which will be covered up when the plastic film chain guard goes on anyway :D ), saved loads..

So building up into a nice winter bike, full 105, FULL mudguards and Strada wheels which I've just had built.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,884
    Alternately, why not buy some nice summer wheels instead? Some zondas for £215 from Germany?

Which retailer is this at please, and do they have Shimano fitment do you happen to recall?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    Daniel B wrote:

Which retailer is this at please, and do they have Shimano fitment do you happen to recall?

4thebike from Germany

Zondas are £224 delivered with shimano free hub. Forgot to add postage
    Mavic krsyium elite s wts shimano are £314 delivered
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,884
    Daniel B wrote:

4thebike from Germany

Zondas are £224 delivered with shimano free hub. Forgot to add postage
    Mavic krsyium elite s wts shimano are £314 delivered

Aha, yes 4thebike - thankyou, I ordered the aforesaidmentioned Ksyrium elite's from them about 18 months ago, and it was a very painless and easy process.
    Had I not just bought some wheels from Rose I think I would have ordered these, although 1600g is not superlight, thought they used to be 1550, but that must have been the Campag freewheel - the Rose wheels are circa 1700g for £173.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • secretsam
    If you're going to use something all year round then why get a winter bike? Why not something that suits all weathers. The T2 can be built up nicely and so can the s4, albeit its twice the price.

The plan is to move kit that I have onto new frame. Will be a nice, all weather bike.

"Nice summer wheels" LOL. Just bought some. Carbon bike too 23mm and too gorgeous for rotten weather. Plus I want a +1 :mrgreen: