Giro d'Italia CHENG-watch

above_the_cows
above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
edited May 2015 in Pro race
So forum favourite CHENG Ji is riding the Giro.

After stage 3 he is currently in 182nd place, 29 minutes and 28 seconds off Bling Matthew's lead.

He still has some time to loose before he challenges Matteo Pelucchi who is the current lanterne in 193rd, 46:58 back on Matthews.

So show your love for Cheng and wish him well as he attempts to tow the peloton around Italy.

Team+GIANT+Alpecin+Team+Launch+o-vk1mW5tCdl.jpg
Correlation is not causation.

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    meh

by definition, I'm not sure you can be an unsung hero two years in a row :wink:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Think he needs to start drinking that shampoo...
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    What kind of planning would allow Pelucchi to pull out such a big lead so early, doesn't Cheng have a domestique watching out for him?

The team car should refuse to give him musettes for a few days to motivate him.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Surely Cheng is so last year?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    smithy21 wrote:
    Surely Cheng is so last year?

Not even the best Chinese rider in the race this year..... :wink:
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I welcome the competition, it will no doubt, be close fought.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Ishibashi is going for the ahem, Japanese Lanterne this year
  • above_the_cows
    Joelsim wrote:

Oh Joel. :x :roll:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:

Oh Joel. :x :roll:

I'm here all week
  • above_the_cows
    So MY MAN CHENG came in 17:51 behind Polanc on yesterday's stage.

This is disappointing as he was by no means the last man across the line. That honour goes to the peloton's meerkat, a lonely Luca Paolini who came in 21:11 back.

On GC CHENG is 173 at 1:05:09 down on Contador. He has a long way to go to catch Matteo Pelucchi who is 1:27:23 down.

Come on CHENG! Hopefully we will see lots of peloton pulling today.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Lots of shots of Cheng on the front now.
  • above_the_cows
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Lots of shots of Cheng on the front now.

Breakaway Killer!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    If I had known he was there I would have got his autograph for you ATC. I saw Toblerone but he was in a bit of a rush.
  • above_the_cows
    Paul 8v wrote:
    If I had known he was there I would have got his autograph for you ATC. I saw Toblerone but he was in a bit of a rush.

Ooo you've been at the Giro Paul? How was it?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I only saw the one stage as it was a family holiday and I could only get away with one! My friend and I rode down the coast from Grosseto, I borrowed his lovely Tommasini, we ended up having a race with a local (They don't like getting overtaken!) and watched the stage finish in Castiglione with THAT crash. We were actually opposite where it happened, it looked horrible.

We rode back and ended up in a chain gang with some more locals, who also didn't like being overtaken but after I did a couple of big turns on the front they started chatting to us and they were a good laugh.

The Giro was great, not as crazy as the tour, definitely more chilled but I enjoyed it, just a shame for that poor sod from Vini.

Gutted I missed Cheng, I did see Gilbert, Boonen, Porte, Ryder etc as they rode back past us after the finish, we followed an Ettix guy back through the crowds and the pros are even faster than normal people through crowds!

Oh, we also saw Paulo Bettini strutting around, the VIPs love the attention over there!
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    I saw stages 7 and 8, and was hanging around Giant's team bus before stage 8. Cheng was looking cheerful as he was being interviewed by some Chinese TV people. I was less interested in Cheng though, as I wanted to see Ludvigsson (no Brits at the Giro this year so went for the only Swede instead) - I had a chat with him and he was really friendly.