Least Favourite Roundabouts and Junctions

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited May 2015 in The cake stop
So the election is over. The first Tory cabinet meets.
Moving on. Here is one of my least favourite roundabouts in England...
Blackwater into Camberley. This is hideous.

12678up.jpg

I accept Scottish postings only while it remains in the Union.
European roundabouts may be of interest. I would prefer not to see major coastal crossng routes to avoid immigration controversy.

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    There's so many to choose from.

But I think I'd have a generic nomination for any 'normal' roundabout that has had lights just added to it with no thought for how it's really going to work.

A few near me have sprouted four sets of lights on something about 50 ft in diameter, which means that you have no chance of changing lanes if you have to stop at a red, because there will always be cars filling the lanes beside you, and you only get two car lengths to make any change before the next stop. :evil:

"The only way to negotiate any roundabout successfully in the UK is to have been there before"....a German colleague.

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Apex Corner, the roundabout at the junction of the A312/A316. Not too bad on a bicycle, but dangerous if you're on foot and use the zebra crossing on the slip road heading out of town.
    Also the location of the building used as the Turin traffic control in the Italian Job, now a Wickes and Curry's.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Here is one of my least favourite roundabouts in England...
    Blackwater into Camberley. This is hideous.

I know it well and always plan my rides to avoid it. In fact I've never cycled around it and have no intention of doing so. :shock:
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,219
    One that I'm currently 'designing' which I've inherited and can't change as it has somehow made it 90% of the way through the approval process despite not complying with virtually every aspect of accepted design standards. I'm embarrassed to be associated with it!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    This is an absolute Bar Steward of a roundabout. It is known as 'Canford Bottom' and is at one of the Wimborne by-pass. It replaced an ordinary roundabout for the 2012 Olympics. Built to ensure that traffic could flow quickly on its way to and from Weymouth (Sailing). I would personally like to hang/draw/quarter the idiot that approved it as they clearly don't have to use it.

113EdAerial.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    99ovx4.jpg

This is Elephant and Castle, East London. I don't know this but I've heard about it. Apparently if you live in East London its difficult to avoid.

It has 5 arms some with 4 lanes in and 4 lanes out and some but not all of them are one way.
  • I've been over the Camberley one a few times and am inclined to agree that it is pretty awful

I tend to dislike any roundabout on a dual carriageway where I am going right, because basically you have to cross lanes of fast moving traffic