Decathlon store opening in Wandsworth SW London

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I was in Southside yesterday and noticed that Decathlon are opening a fair large double floored store on June 18th. I just thought I'd give people in the area a heads up if they haven't noticed already. Personally I can't wait as it's a pain to travel over to Canary Wharf to check their bike clothing/accesories out. They have a tiny tiny shop opened opposite the new location in the mean time.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/en/store?store_id=PS_UK_1040

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Before the era of online shopping, Decathlon was a great place to go for bargains on sportsware... right now I am not sure this is the case any longer... better deals can be found just a click away... got the feeling Decathlon is a bit of a dynosaur and the deals they offer are on their own branded stuff, which is a bit of a hit and a miss... but I might be wrong, of course
    left the forum March 2023
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You couldnt be more wrong Ugo. Decathlon only really started to grow in the UK long after online shopping started. Their stuff is fantastic value and they are the 'go-to place' for sports equipment. Yes, most of the clothing is heavily built around own brand (they used to also do alot of Tresspass clothing but seem to have phased that out for more of their own brands) but you need to look sometimes because their own brand is often a real brand relabelled.

They only sell their own bikes, but they are unquestionably among the best value for money bikes you can get. Go Outdoors seem to be trying to follow suit and Cerrera have always been good value from Halfrauds, but Decathlon would still be first on the list for a mountain bike under £1000 or a road bike in similar price range. In the road bike arena they do face stiffer competition but at the bottom of this range, the old Triban 3 Red was unbelievable - Shimano 2300 kit all round and carbon forks for £300!!! The newer replacement isnt quite as good but still beats most, if not all the competition.

Their clothing is very similar level to DHB at Wiggle, very good at the budget/mid price range, but they have no match for the high end cycling clothes admittedly.

Their spare parts are really cheap too - and sometimes listed as Btwin for example their chains and missing links or their pedals, but you find they are really KMC/Shimano stuff for half the normal price.

Their backpacks and hiking gear and swimming gear and tennis/squash/badminton raquets and canoeing stuff is also the cheapest around and often branded stuff as well as their own. I bought a canoe for £500 less than it was anywhere else last year.

As you can tell, I love Decathlon but it is for rational reasons not just fan boy stuff...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    If you have a store nearby, Decathlon is great for picking up odds and sods like tyres, tubes, gels, patches, lube etc when you don't want to wait for online. Some of their own brand clothing is really decent too, and their range of low cost bikes is the stuff of legend.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    bobones wrote:
    If you have a store nearby, Decathlon is great for picking up odds and sods like tyres, tubes, gels, patches, lube etc when you don't want to wait for online.... and their range of low cost bikes is the stuff of legend.

Agree...

Don't know about their low cost bikes, it's not a market I know at all
    left the forum March 2023
  • apreading
    See this Ugo: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... n-3-299-99

Made in Italy too! And I got my son's one for £210 almost literally unused...
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I was in Southside yesterday and noticed that Decathlon are opening a fair large double floored store on June 18th. I just thought I'd give people in the area a heads up if they haven't noticed already. Personally I can't wait as it's a pain to travel over to Canary Wharf to check their bike clothing/accesories out. They have a tiny tiny shop opened opposite the new location in the mean time.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/en/store?store_id=PS_UK_1040

I really feel for you having to schlep from one part of South London to another. My nearest Decathlon is in Bolton - 70 bloody miles away!
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    And is probably quicker to get to than to cross South London!

Thank you to the OP for the info. Also a screwfix opened in Wandsworth recently - can be good for tools, bolts etc (better than B&Q yet they are the same company).

On a side note the quantity of bikes thrown out at the dump / recycling place was truly shocking on Saturday.
  • apreading
    See http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -15-49419/

You really should have them on your radar Ugo!