Preferring my hardtail Clockwork

wide phil
wide phil Posts: 51
edited May 2015 in MTB general
I am always going back to my hardtail lately... an Orange Clockwork s29er. I prefer it for natural days riding, and also seem to enjoy it on the likes of trail centre stuff like W2. Its front forks are Rockshox recon silvers if Im correct and thinking of upgrading. Whats best, Ive just riden a demo loop on the Crush and thought the forks on that.. Revelation were great, but this was on a 650b, not sure if they will be available in 29er, others say a Reba would be better as they are loads lighter. Any help to decide

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Reba is not 'loads lighter' its pretty much the same bits but shorter travel (so a bit lighter) which is what your CW needs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Is t a reba 500g lighter than a recon silver? That's pretty significant weight saving In bike terms is it not?
    I have a recon on my inbred, quite like it but it's bloody heavy for a short travel fork. I am just awaiting delivery of some reba's to help lighten the front end a little.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Isn't he saying the Reba is significantly lighter than the Revelation? That's how I read it.
    If that's what he was saying then it's not right.
  • wide phil
    wide phil Posts: 51
    Isn't he saying the Reba is significantly lighter than the Revelation? That's how I read it.
    If that's what he was saying then it's not right.

I wasn't think they were 4kg lighter :lol: but "loads " was a figure of speech and a 500g lighten on forks should be a significant save,along with other stuff maybe to make the CW a better weight
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I would also recommend looking at the tyres and the wheels. Orange have a habit (one of many) of sticking bloody awful tyres on bikes, wire bead, heavy crap with cheap awful compounds. you would probably shave a few hundred 'g' in tyres alone and that would make a noticeable difference to the feel, handling and ride quality,